TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have a 1.7 double. As far as I can tell, I've never been bit through it. I've come home with bites, but they were in areas that would not have been in contact with the fabric.

I googled this to see what I could find. Here are a couple of posts on the topic:

First guy: "If it is a normal nylon like tent, probably not. Unless it is a mosquito from Krypton, then watch out! ;-)"

Second guy: "what is Krypton? or was that just humor? not sure... thanks for the reply too."

What are parents doing with their kids education these days. How can anyone not know about Krypton? LOL
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL, DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    No bites with my 1.1DL. Been around lots of skeeters too.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    hello all, there's been some talk on another manufactuer's site where they were boasting about having the only hammock model in the world that has bite-proof hammock fabric. regardless of the validity of this statement, it got me wondering, has anybody experienced bite through in any of my models when laying directly on the fabric with nothing under them? which model? double layer or single layer?

folks occasionally ask about mosquitoes biting through, i don't "think" they can bite through either double layer model or the single 1.1, but am not sure about the single 1.7. anybody care to share their experience?
    Hello hammock lovers, it's me again. Could we refine the question by adding the requirement that there is nothing between you and your hammock but air and nothing tied or sprayed on the outside or inside of the hammock, just like on the other manufacturers site? I'm considering purchasing one to try when I can better afford to do so and this would put my mind at rest on this matter. Oh yeah, it needs to be on all models as well, not just the dbl models as this would be an even further help to me.

Thank you fiends!

LGL

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    the skeeters here in sketterville are skeerd of blackbirds.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    1.1 double never...
    haven't had the 1.1 single out in summer yet so i can't comment on that.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Hello hammock lovers, it's me again. Could we refine the question by adding the requirement that there is nothing between you and your hammock but air and nothing tied or sprayed on the outside or inside of the hammock, just like on the other manufacturers site? I'm considering purchasing one to try when I can better afford to do so and this would put my mind at rest on this matter. Oh yeah, it needs to be on all models as well, not just the dbl models as this would be an even further help to me.

Thank you fiends!

LGL
    It would be pretty rare for any hammock other than a Clark not to have a pad or other insulation as the WB hammocks do not have all of the extra weight and material used by the Clark pockets.

My guess is that if you were to require a lab certified test as opposed to a couple of hundred anecdotes, I'd probably stick with the Clark to be safe and not risk the potential mosquito related failure of a non-certified hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I don't use any type of insulation under my hammock from May/June to near the beginning of October and I don't own a Clark. This thread was started as warbonnet needs your opinion and not how does every hammock handle mosquitos biting trough fabric. It was started in hammock gear/warbonnet hammocks forum.

P.S. I don't own a warbonnet hammock.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I got my 1.0 in a double layer just so I could hang in the summer without any extra insulation under me. I'm hoping that the double layer will prevent skeeters from biting through the bottom. That said, the night time temps haven't been warm enough "for me" to sleep without my summer UQ yet. I have been able to hang in the backyard with just the hammock in the afternoon and I've not gotten any under bites. As the summer progress, I'll report back about the skeeter biting.
    I have throughly tested my tropical Clark (bottom is one layer with fewer pockets and they are widely spaced compaired to the normal Clark) in hungry skeeter infested swamps and never been bitten through the bottom.
    I've never sprayed any kind of preventitive or bug spray on my hammocks and I try to use wet wipe or some kind of cleanser to get the deet off of me before I lay down because I don't like to sleep with all those chemicals on me.
    I also have a HH but it's a single layer and I really don't trust it at all to be skeeter proof on the bottom. I'd probably end up having to treat it with something to survive without an under quilt.
    These are just obsurvations I've found with my three camping hammocks and I'm not done with testing with the BB. It's last big test's will be to see how it's does in the skeeter swamps around here.
    One thing I have found is that I can set up my BB faster than my Clark and that means I wont be getting bitten as much before I can actually get inside the hammock. (ok, that really didn't have anything to do with the bottom layer being skeeter proof but it does make a difference to me when I'm being swarmed by the little pests)
    TinaLouise

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    no problem all over the SE for me in the WBBB 1.7 double... Now almost time to pull the trigger on the traveler!!
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images

No bites

WBBB 1.7 DL -- no bites in over 100 nights hanging w/o an underquilt or bug spray, often in very swampy sites.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast