WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Rain, Flooding, Fog, and excessive wetness.

As some of you may remember I have had a lot of trouble getting my gear from Canada to my new home in Michigan. Well 2 weeks ago I finally got my quilts and stoves and quickly made plans to get out. (my quilts are a Ptarmagin 3/4 UQ & Old Rag mountian TQ) This is an excellent combination that works well in all 4 seasons.

Well last week I went to Pinckney state rec area in Michigan with solid plans for exploring their 37+ miles of trails, that cover a variety of terrain including several lakes. The park only allows camping at two of the lakes (Crooked Lake & Blind Lake). Crooked Lake is setup for car-campers and Blind Lake is accessable at the end of a 7-mile trail (and is completely primative).

I arrived at 5pm with rain sprinkles that were threatening to turn into a downpour at any minute, so with light quickly fading, and rain dumping on my, I decided to stay at the car-camping location for the first night and make the hike the next day.

As soon as the tarp was strung up the down-pour started! I got soaked while making my tarp-pegs, and with a great bit of luck was able to deploy the BlackBird without any difficulty (I was rather pleased that the tarp was perfectly centered over the hammock with additional fussing.

It continued to rain for the next 3.5 days. Non-stop, alternating between hard-downpour, spring-shower, drizzle, and even the occasional bits of hail. There was a river running under my hammock approx. 3 feet wide and 6 inches deep by the end of day 2. Mud was everywhere, and I was trapped in my hammock. Humidity stayed at 100% and thick, but the temperature was very and the wind was non-existent. Fog from my breath hung in the air where I exhaled it.

I decided not to try hiking in these conditions and just wait-it out, I was planning on staying in the hammock all week reading anyway; so I didn't mind. I was comfy, warm, and very content.

On the morning of day 4, my TQ and UQ were both wet. The UQ was suffering from ground-splatter, and my TQ was getting dripped on from the tarp. The condensation from my body and breath was collecting on the tarp and dripping back down onto me. (due to the rain I had the tarp deployed 'wide' so I had enough room to 'live' under the tarp)

So, on day 4 I packed up in the pouring rain, everything getting soaked, and i drove home.

It was a great trip, and I had a wonderful time. Cool thing that happened:

When I arrived at the site a Doe and fawn pranced around the corner of a bush and stood less then 10 feet away from me, the fawn was so small and unstable on its legs it couldn't have been more then a few days old.

On the evening of the second day, I heard a large animal walking through the bush near my hammock. I quietly looked around not seeing anything, and settled back into my book. A moment later I heard a very loud and very close snort. It sounded like a steam engine exhaust. I look around and still cannot see anything. 5 minutes later I hear the same thing again. Perhaps it was the mystical quality of the light/fog, and drizzle, and perhaps it was just my imagination; but I instantly pictured a large Minitaur angry at my tresspass. I heard the snort again followed by a stomp of hoof on the ground. So I called out: "I am just a harmless camper, I won't hurt your family Mr. Deer."

The sound scared the animal away and added to the memories of the trip.

This is what I learnt: Contentment is the quiet realization that your animal needs (food, shelter, warmth) are taken care of. Happiness is being able to share that contentment with somebody else.

Quiet time in the woods is good for my soul.

Thanks for reading.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Very nice! Those are perfect days to disappear for a bit.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts