WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images

Pre order questions

Hi all,
    I currently have a Hennessy Expedition Asym. When I bought it a few years ago I didn't know about any other camping hammock makers. Recently I've been reasearching a possible upgrade, and am seriously considering a BB.
    I'm pretty sure I would choose the 1.7 dbl layer. I weigh about 230 and like the idea of the extra strength.

I have some questions before I place an order.
    This one is pretty open ended. Why do you think the BB is better than a Hennessy or a Switchback?

I love that the Switchback can be used without the netting. Can I do this with a Blackbird? That would be really nice on a bug free day in the back yard.

I read that there are lefty and righty Blackbirds, but don't see mention of this on the Warbonnet site. If I order one, which will I get? I'm used to the head left, feet right lay of the Hennessy. Not much choice there really... The asym cut makes that the logical way to lay.

How do you like the different suspension options with the Blackbird? I really hated the stock Hennesy ropes. That knot was a PITA to adjust so I was constantly looking for something better. When I learned about whoopie slings my prayers were answered. I got some amsteel and made a pair. Much improved! So how hard is it to put whoopies on a BB?

I think that about covers it. Thanks all!
    Shum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I have a eno dn dlx and my BB and know nothing about Hennessy or Switchbacks. What I do know is the netting on my BB can be tied off to the right side out of the way when not needed. When I ordered my BB it came to me head left and feet right I too have heard of the reverse BB but know nothing else about them. I really like my choice to get the adjustable webbing suspension its easy to use no knots needed and it holds and I weigh in at 375#. I hope this helps out a little.
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Thumbs up Blackbird

I started with the HH expedition as well and it was okay, no issues. After joining the forum I ordered the blackbird due to all the high praise. The footbox does allow a nicer, flatter lay in the hammock. In a word, comfortable. I have purchased four blackbirds, 1.0 dl, 1.7 dl, 1.1 dl and 1.7 sl and compared all of them side by side. The 1.1 dl is the most comfortable for me, at least at my weight of 215. All are nice though. I sold the 1.7 dl, it's overkill at my weight. The other three are very similar in weight with whoopies which are easier to replace than the hennessy. The bugnet can be thrown over the top if not needed but not completely out of the way. All in all I feel it's the best option out there so far...Bush

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for the replies so far

Big Joe - how do you like your superfly? Do you have the newer model with the built in doors?

Bush - I guess if you went from one Hennessy to 4 Blackbirds, they must be a lot more comfortable. Have you had any experience with the Super Shelter system?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Had a Hennessy, got a Blackbird, sold the Hennessy.

Once I have something that works, I don't tend to buy a bunch of redundant stuff. So no experience with other hammocks. I used an underquilt with the HH and the same quilt works great on the Blackbird, and have also used pads which work better in the Blackbird than in the HH.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I had a HH and it was ok .... it was my first real backpacking Hammock and it will always have a special place in my heart... but i'm not a fan of the bottom entry and i found it small for me a 5'11" .. also i hated the roped on it and i didn't have any luck with the SS as well... but if i could do it again i would still order one
    but the WBBB is something of beauty .... it's so well made and the footbox and shelf just add to a already great hammock it's my Fav hammock out of all the ones i used over the years
    as for the Switchback i can't really say ... i know from what i was told it's a great hammock .. next time i hang with someone that has one i wanna try it for myself ... Darby is a great guy as well so i'm sure whatever one you pick you will be very happy with
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've got a reverse 1.7dbl. The foot box and shelf are really awesome features. The netting can be flipped over and out of the way if you want. I use mine as a chair alot in the backyard. I think the newer models may even have a tie off point for the mesh on the shelf side.

The reverse allows me to lay head to the right feet to the left with the zipper on my right. Man reason I did this was because my sleeping bag has a right hand zipper as well.

Super comfortable lay but I don't have any other camping hammock experience to compare it to. I slip a stuff sack under my knees and it eliminates all hyperextension and calf squeeze that, however slight, I was experiencing.

The double layer is great for keeping a ccf pad in place.

Good luck with whatever set up you choose.

Images
    at your weight you don't "need" the double 1.7, you should be just as comfy in the double 1.1. the dl1.7 is a heavy duty hammock, and designed specifically for folks over 250LBS. you'd be comfortable in it too, but not necessary at your weight.

the standard model is head left, feet right, same orientation as your hh. the net can be tied off to the side so the top if fully open when not needed.

switching to whoopies is easy, involves one extra step not taken with other hammocks, here's professor grizz showing us the way:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...956#post142956

important to make sure you insert suspension through small black loop in the edge binding of the blackbird as shown in the pics. there is one loop at each end of the hammock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You can flip the bug net over and have it open but only on one side whereas the Switchback does have the ability to be completely open from both sides. Just make sure to set it up with the opening the way you want it, i.e. facing the lake or mountains Check out the WBBB vids on youtube.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    the blackbird now comes with a bit of ribbon hanging between the shelf and the footbox, so the netting can now be rolled up and pulled all the way over to the edge/side of the hammock, and tied off there making it a fully open top

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast