ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

general setup tweaking

So I did my first setup of the summer in the backyard yesterday. I'd say it was at least 1.5hrs from start to finish, although I was playing with some ideas and new gadgets. If you could offer any insight to my setup it would be appreciated.
    I have some issues that I am searching for a better way to handle.

Issue #1 is the "extra" material in the hammock. I got the ENO DN because I thought it allow for more room to lay on a diagonal. I guess maybe it does but there is all this floppy fabric wanting to cocoon me. drives me crazy flapping in my face. am i doing something dumb or just missing an obvious solution...or is that just the way it is? Or is it due to too much/little sag in the hammock?

Issue #2...is the ENO bugnet constricting or is that just me? or is it just hard to judge where to run its ridgeline so that the bug net is positioned just perfectly so that the hammock hangs just the right distance from the top? I hate laying on a diagonal and having bug netting against my head. Is there another fairly easy to hang solution that I should investigate?

Issue #3...tarp, tarp, tarp. Thats like a $20 tarp and the tie-out straps were already sewn onto it. it is relatively heavy but does the job. would its heavier weight make it harder to tie out tight and keep tight? No matter what I have tried for the tarp ridgeline, the ridgeline sags...i tie the corners out to stakes and make the line snug...ridgeline sags more. I did string the ridgeline pretty tight this time. Tie it extra high and pull it down until it can't sag any more? i'm wondering what kind of cords are people using for tarp lines, tieouts, non-suspension uses?

I'm bad with knots so I bought some stuff I saw online..knot bones and a figure-9 rope tightener. I used the figure 9 on the hammock ridgeline but I will soon be getting another whoopie sling to do that job. This was my first setup trying a hammock ridgeline and I loved it. That will be a permanent part of the setup now.

Sorry for this long winded post but if anyone can provide insight or tips it would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    #1) Hammock is really big. Side pullouts would help solve this.

#2) No help here. I don't own one and you don't have a picture.

#3) Tarp ridge will sag the tighter the pull outs are. And non stretch cord will work.

I say if you love it then stick with what you got. It looks like a solid setup.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    #1) I actually cut off the excess material on mine. It was a big improvement.

#2) Theres a lot of excess material in that bugnet. May pick up some a couple of grip clips to tie out the sides or sew some tie out points yourself.

#3) Tie your corner guyouts on the tarp at a 45 degree angle to the tarp (create a Y shape). Should help a little.
    Last edited by Bubba; 05-26-2011 at 11:18.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    #1 -- you might try knotty's stretch side mod http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29560 or something like it.

So far, I like your setup! Yay!

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    with my eno DN, laying diag my heels are just over the seem and my head is on the excess material on the other seam. no flapping and instant pillow.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thanks! that gives me some ideas to work with. i'll definitely use a greater angle with the tarp corner tieouts, that makes alot of sense. i'm gonna grab those grip clips too, those look cool! if i could figure out how to do side pullouts on the hammock when its inside the bug bag...
    and the mod link made me think of something i might try...if those clips were installed on either side of the head end, and a shock cord or bungie was run from one clip to the other underneath the hammock...might that pull the excess material away from the face? hmm...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You could put the grip clips on the hammock sides and the bugnet at the same time and then guy them out. Those clips should be large enough to accomodate both materials at the same time.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    With your tarp, it isnt going to get completely tight. That is why most tarps these days have a catenary cut (I think its called)-it eliminates the sag. No matter how tight you try to pull that tarp, there will always be sag. But, sag or no sag-it will still keep the elements off you

• + New Posts