Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Bicycle Touring

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    KNT12x12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Zero
    I have the Garneau bags, about same capacity. I like to ride to work as well. It is a 28 mile one way trip, and upwards of 36-40 miles home, simply because I want the mileage.
    I love the distance cycling/over night camping as well. The hammock gear will make the load a tad bit lighter. I am planning a "NE to SW corners Ohio ride" this season and hope to stealth camp 4-5 nights, riding my Scattante R405. I use one of several tracking apps with my Razr Maxx smartphone; Trimbleoutdoors Backpacker, Strava, or Mapmyride, or Google's My Tracks. If you don't have one, I have found an I.Sound 16000, yes, sixteen thousand Mah! battery charger and also recently an Anker 14000. (Anker has a higher output as well). The 16000 charges my smartphone 5x, and the Anker will do 4x.
    I joined Hammocks Forum to gain wisdom at the virtual feet of others who have walked, camped, canoed, motorcycled, or ridden before me, with their knowledge and experiences/stories, and to give my own.

Just returned from Australian East Coast tour.

This thread caught my eye, having just returned from a bike ride from Newcastle to the Gold Coast on Australia's east coast. First tour for me since B.C. (before children) and after 25 years felt now was a good time. While I have a hammock in the pipeline, This is all new to me but I can definitely see the advantages of hammock dwelling. I will keep the traditional pannier setup for the times where my wife and children will come along but want to explore the possibilities of reducing weight and complexity in order to reduce stress on bike and rider. This will allow me to travel further of the beaten track, spending less time wrestling 30+ kg on a track and more time chilling out in a hammock. For anyone interested we completed the trip on cheap bikes (my son's was a fifty dollar K-mart mountain bike.) to prove a point. That is, any trip can be successful with the right attitude and determination. Excuses about unsuitable equipment are the biggest obstacle to success. A ' just do it attitude' is a great start. Just as aside, while we were sitting at a rest area in the middle of nowhere, an old pensioner guy rode up on an ancient mountain bike. He had a t-shirt, shorts and thongs/flip flops on his feet, a fabric shopping bag occy-strapped to his handle bars and a small carry bag on his rear carrier. His destination was Cairns in fare North Queensland, some thousands of kilometres away. This was his third trip, and this just about summarised what adventures are all about. Getting out there and following your dreams. Look forward to more great threads about traveling with hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nungesser View Post
    I have the Garneau bags, about same capacity. I like to ride to work as well. It is a 28 mile one way trip, and upwards of 36-40 miles home, simply because I want the mileage.
    I love the distance cycling/over night camping as well. The hammock gear will make the load a tad bit lighter. I am planning a "NE to SW corners Ohio ride" this season and hope to stealth camp 4-5 nights, riding my Scattante R405. I use one of several tracking apps with my Razr Maxx smartphone; Trimbleoutdoors Backpacker, Strava, or Mapmyride, or Google's My Tracks. If you don't have one, I have found an I.Sound 16000, yes, sixteen thousand Mah! battery charger and also recently an Anker 14000. (Anker has a higher output as well). The 16000 charges my smartphone 5x, and the Anker will do 4x.
    I joined Hammocks Forum to gain wisdom at the virtual feet of others who have walked, camped, canoed, motorcycled, or ridden before me, with their knowledge and experiences/stories, and to give my own.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I will be riding the Southern Tier from Florida to Arizona in feb of 15. My plan is to use the hammock but I'm not so sure about west Texas or parts of east Arizona, I don't want to bring my tent, even though my Dutch argon 11 foot hammock is super light. I will post my blog from crazy guy when I get it going if anybody wants to follow my trip. Jim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 22hornet View Post
    I will be riding the Southern Tier from Florida to Arizona in feb of 15. My plan is to use the hammock but I'm not so sure about west Texas or parts of east Arizona, I don't want to bring my tent, even though my Dutch argon 11 foot hammock is super light. I will post my blog from crazy guy when I get it going if anybody wants to follow my trip. Jim
    Hi Jim, Sounds like a fun trip. I hope you will keep us posted on your trip reports we have several bikepacking/hammock hangers. In fact we even have a bikepacking subforum in the donating member forums.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am in the midst of my cross country bike tour. I started in Jacksonville Fl on Feb 15th and am now in Comstock Texas. My final stop is Surprise Arizona. I reluctantly left my hammock kit at home, the tree less part of west Texas and onto Arizona made my decision. But boy did I miss out on some great hang spots thru Florida and Louisiana. My blog is on www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/15297 if anybody wants to follow my trip. Everything I have read about a long tour has been true. It changes a person and gives you a different perspective on everything. RYOR Jim

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    One thing we learned on our fatbikes, is that Salsa Anything cage precisely fits a 64oz Hydroflask (full of a decent adult beverage, of course). Here in the Cascades, there's so many miles of forest service roads all over the place, that touring there is super! There's also the addition of narrow pavement, no shoulders, and tourists in rented motorhomes, that riding on dirt is much safer!142.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011