Thread: Bicycle Touring

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339162987.570003.jpg

The spoke reflectors - REI product number included.

....best impulse purchase I've ever made IMHO
    You don't HAVE TO be crazy to be here - But I assure you it will help.....

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by autolox View Post
    The tires are Schwalbe mondial 700x40's.

The spoke reflectors....gimme a minute

They were $15. They're in a small pack and are CRAZY effective. I've been ridiculed for spending that for them but it has proven to be a well spent $15 judging from vehicle reactions later in the day.
    Far as I know, all Schwalbe tires have that reflector strip running around the outside. At least, all of the ones I've seen do. It's definitely a plus for being seen.

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    One version has "ornamental" shapes. Another pack will have sheets of small rectangular squares suited well for spokes. They even include a small "guage" so you get the tabs mostly in line all the way around the wheel. One pack does two wheels and then a little bit of a third. I've been thinking about picking up another pack and doing an "interior" ring also.

I *think* the one you DO NOT want is a little cheaper in price. (been a little while since I did this - and I LOVE 'em....hardly any weight penalty and GREAT visibility.

I would imagine if you wanted to take the time a roll of "solas" tape would accomplish even more coverage but gosh that has to be a daunting task to take on!!

I've got a roll of yellow Solas I might play with a little to see how it does on the spokes closer to the hub of the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by RePete View Post
    Ok I have to admit, I am more interested in the flash. What are you using that is making your rims and spokes reflect like that? The best thing in the world on a bike is being seen. Yesterday in 2 separate accidents a 60 yr old man was hit at 3:30 am and I think about 8 am two young men of 18 and 19 were hit. All 3 were killed. In the case of the young men one of them had a flashing red light on the back of the bike. This was only 20 miles from my home. Earlier this spring in 2 other instances bicyclists were hit and killed and I know at least one of those had a flashing red light. People in my area really need to start paying attention. All we can do is make every effort to be seen.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Thanks for the great info.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Far as I know, all Schwalbe tires have that reflector strip running around the outside. At least, all of the ones I've seen do. It's definitely a plus for being seen.
    Schwalbe is dropping that from more and more of its tires.

There is also a $50 Danish product, running tiny current-generating inductors past a generator to illuminate 4-6 LEDs on each wheel. But $50-$60.

There's a lot to be said for premium 3M engineered reflective fabric, which comes in several non-illuminated colors and turns bright under light.

That said, cameras see differently than humans. Because that is fact, not theory, Germans are not crazy to disallow blinky's, so often purchased and used by riders like me. They are close to invisible as daytime lights, and not what riders think them to be to motorists seeing them through windshields at night, either.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    RePete's handle helped me recall the name of the Danish induction-based flasher for bicycles:

www.Reelight.com

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    I run Schwalbe Marathon Supreme's on my commuter and I _love_ them. 35 in the rear, 32 in front. Taxi drivers often comment on the reflector strips, which I've come to realize are more easily visible than my front/rear lights to them (since there are so many **** lights in this city).

On my touring bike I run Pasela TG's, but I also have reflective strips on my panniers and a larger rear light so I guess that balances out.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    RePete's handle helped me recall the name of the Danish induction-based flasher for bicycles:

www.Reelight.com
    Thanks!!! That looks cool!!!

I don't use my blinkies during daylight hours, only after the approach of dusk. However, being seen at all times and at all angles is a must.

It's another subject altogether, but I think 'helping you to be seen by motorists' tools/gadgets have limited capabilities and effectiveness. They don't make up for a lack of skill and a witty survival attitude on the road. The best thing any cycle-commuter can do is be predictable and don't deviate too far from established roadway etiquette, if possible of course, we've all been there. The biggest complaint I hear from people who have 0 knowledge about cycle-commuting (and culture) about cycle-commuters is they are too slow, not going to change, and they are unpredictable, changeable behavior. To be fair, from what I can tell it's mostly beginner errors that trigger this response. I see them all the time, so I believe the criticism. As for the clueless motorists who's only roadway perspective is driving, most people on the road, they need to accept that speed differentials are real and to learn how to pass properly. Don't Fing honk... absolutely unnecessary.

Nothing personal to others, rant over.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I've wanted to try bikepacking, but want to sell my mountain bike. I so rarely use my mountain bike, except on the road (where it's not very cozy), it's sad. I want a nice road bike for road racing, triathlons and maybe some commuting. Does anyone tour on the road? I'm looking at the Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 or the Raleigh REVENIO 3.0 if it makes any difference. I'd most likely be upgrading the wheels out for lighter ones for on the road. I could put cyclecross tires on the old wheel set for dirt that's not too bumpy. I really don't want a cyclecross bike (as far as I know) since off roading on my bike is becoming less appealing to me.

Thoughts?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast