Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Noobs' easiest, low-tech adjustment to hang

I have the gear and now the toys; but lack for knot knowledge, like many noobs. But, it shouldn't be necessary to acquire any of them before dialing in a hang to as much fit and satisfaction and better methods will later offer.

Simplest way to adjust hammock hang, assuming a pair of not-too large trees AND straps -- straps are essential. With none of the gear, toys, or knowledge?

Adjust the wrap.

Wrap the trees with straps / huggers (and line, if strap is short), cinch, and run the strap and rope BACK around the tree, as though to strangle the tree. The length adjustment after the first try is now just done by loosening the wrap a little and turning the bundle to take up line or release some line. Be sure any line rests against and places the strap between the line and the trees. Tug sharply on the line to re-tighten the wrap on the tree.

--------
    Sure, this is obvious, but not if, following must illustrations, noobs like me assume the hammock suspension lines must come out at a right angle from the tree.

And it won't work with greasy straps, teflon-barked trees, etc

All the real marlinspike seamanship techniques are worthy. But the new owner / buyer ought to be able tweak, adjust, and find happiness with nothing more than straps (and friction.)

If this isn't to be trusted for an all-night hang, it is certainly an easy way to experiment and discover the length of a desired ridge-line.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Being new to hammocks and a complete idot when it comes to knots and the marlin spike hitch is about as simple as it gets IMO. Of course for anyone afraid of that they could easily pick up a pair of elephant trunks/dutch clips or biners/decender rings for easy hammock adjustments.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Sweet! That's the beauty of hanging--half a billion ways to do it... find the one that puts you in the air and keeps you there. Looks like you found yours!

I'm a big fan of low tech (although I consider the marlinspike hitch part of that--a slipknot with a stick through it... gotta love it). If the rings, biners, whoopies, or whatever fail or get lost, you always have a way back up. Or... maybe you just stick with what works

Thanks for sharing, and keep us posted on your experiences.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    im a knot moron, and dont trust myself in the least (cant even do a slippery half hitch thatll stay) so my plan is, when the funds are right to get the whoopie all in one setup, and be donw. no knots. ill have the con loop thru the ends, a binner on the end for the tree, and just adjust the whoopies. tada!

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    im a knot moron, and dont trust myself in the least (cant even do a slippery half hitch thatll stay) so my plan is, when the funds are right to get the whoopie all in one setup, and be donw. no knots. ill have the con loop thru the ends, a binner on the end for the tree, and just adjust the whoopies. tada!
    Be very careful with just putting the amsteel through the loop on the end of the strap. When you do that you are putting your weight on the thread alone so your strength drops alot. Seen several people hit the ground doing that, so if you do it you want to make sure you have alot of thread there. As has been said the marlinspike is extremely easy (its a loop folded back up with a toggle/stick through it) and is far safer (just remember amsteel on knot not the toggle).

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I find all the different ways people do the same thing interesting.

But I don't understand people's fear of learning few knots. Any new endeavor generally requires a little new knowledge or understanding....

Experiment find what works for you...

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    Be very careful with just putting the amsteel through the loop on the end of the strap. When you do that you are putting your weight on the thread alone so your strength drops alot. Seen several people hit the ground doing that, so if you do it you want to make sure you have alot of thread there. As has been said the marlinspike is extremely easy (its a loop folded back up with a toggle/stick through it) and is far safer (just remember amsteel on knot not the toggle).
    i was talking about using the whoopie slings.com all in one, that uses continuous loops that would be larksheaded thru the end (effectively doubled) with the descender rings attached to that, then the whoopie and tree strap

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Those loops are to keep you from losing the strap with a marlinspike actually holding the weight not the loop if memory serves.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    The sling is connected to an aluminum ring which is also connected to a continuous loop. Attach the loop to your hammock and that's it.

I have 7/64 Amsteel loops I made in my ENO's. The loops are larksheaded through the channels so the material is gathered so tightly that I doubt it would ever cut cut through

The continuous loop is long enough to go through the end channels. I have fit loops as short as 4 inched through the end channels. Just feed it through and larks head the remainder of the all in one suspension and you'll be good to go.

and this video has it that way
    http://youtu.be/qBlYZp1vR7o

theres a bit more, and i believe (could be very wrong) that griz's video of how to hang has a suspension like im talking about, at least in part. great things about hammocks is theres no 1 right way
    Last edited by default; 05-28-2011 at 10:02.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Shoot, I'm a not moron too, but this winter when the sandbags were sliding around in the back of my truck I slid a couple ropes under the 2x10 that keeps my groceries to the rear of the bed (thanks you truck manufacturers that include that indentation on the truck bed) piled my bags on top and before I knew it I'd tied a couple of truckers hitches on them. Sandbags and my tractions stayed put the rest of the winter.

Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast