Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3LegHog

Hello from South Texas

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the hammock camping concept (a total of 1 week researching the net) and because of this knowledgeable and interesting site my wallet is a little lighter. I started out looking at ultralight tents and stumbled across a video by Shug. That's all it took. From there to here to Google, I was trying to learn everything I could about hanging from the trees. We had planned a camping trip this weekend, so I wanted to spread my new found knowledge with all my friends by camping in hammocks. I bit the bullet and got my wife and I two hammock setups to hang in this weekend. Yup, I'm a little spontaneous.

The big challenge was finding hammocks that were in stock that could be overnight shipped so that we could have them by this weekend. A few emails and phone calls and I had two setups on order. An hour or so more online and I had the 'extras' that you fine folks talked about here on order as well. Carabiners, stakes, cord, etc.

Monday was filled with Shug videos, Professor Hammock, this wonderful site and anything else I could find for my research. Fast forward to today, and the UPS man gave me an odd look as he stacked boxes at my door. He sure didn't look like Santa, but it felt like Christmas.

This afternoon was test time. For the wife, it's an ENO Double Nest (she likes bright colors) with a guardian bug net, dry fly and slap straps. We set hers up first and had some troubles figuring out the ridge line and the tarp ridge line. The hammock seemed to swallow her and was tight at the shoulders. More research needed and sag adjustments.

For me, it was a Clark TX-250 with XL rain fly. I had emailed Clark and let them know my time constraints and they told that even though the TX-250 is a new item for them they could get it to me by today and they did. I got some great customer support from them and even though the price was higher than the others, I decided to go with them. This one seemed simpler to hang than the Eno, not sure if was because we hung the ENO first, but the Clark went up a lot quicker. I used the Clark Tree strap and some petzl Attache biners as the suspension. The poles were a little funky, but after they were installed it seemed to open the hammock up a lot. I like the built in storage, bug net and weather shield, but it being all one piece, it makes the stuff sack pretty large in my backpack.

I really wanted to get some whoopie slings and other suspension methods to try out, but couldn't find a site that would overnight ship them. I thought of getting the Amsteel and making my own, but didn't trust my rope skills yet. so that will have to wait until the next trip. I will make sure to order from some of the sites I see recommended here.

On a side note, I was able to make a hobo alcohol stove from a couple beer cans, so I look forward to trying it our. My wife told me she will stick to her Jetboil Flash and be drinking coffee before I get mine lit. It's a race now.

To wrap up, I wanted to say thanks to all the folks that contribute to these forums. It's the folks like you that help folks like me learn something new. I look forward to contributing in the future if I can ever find something your folks don't already know.

I'm all packed up and will post back next week with a trip report from this weekends hang. We have a two night camp out planned in the Texas hill country. I'm taking my iPad along so I can still hit this site when we run into issue on our first official hang.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to HammockForums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    Good luck on the maiden hang.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Patricia
    It's funny that you mention the can stove...that's what I'll be using on my weekend camping trip in just a couple of days as well.
    I'll be using my hammock for REAL for the first time, as well as the soda can stove.
    I hope your new gear works out!
    Good luck.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome! Come join us at the November Texas hang. (I don't think a thread has been started yet... I think that is up to UncleMJM)
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    3LegHog:
    Welcome to HF from Bama..........wnjoy the weekend out and good luck on the maiden voyages. Look forward to the report on the TX-250. If you hang it a little tighter than recommended the banana lay really goes away and I also recommend that you sleep with one leg bent and the other over top, really alleviates the hyperextension on your knees.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    We have a two night camp out planned in the Texas hill country.
    Should be great weather for it, albeit a tad on the warm side!

Whereabouts in the Hill Country are you headed?

3LegHog
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Should be great weather for it, albeit a tad on the warm side!

Whereabouts in the Hill Country are you headed?
    Just North of Boerne. An in-law has a few hundred acres. All packed up and heading out now with just a quick stop at Bass Pro on the way.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi 3leghog,
    Welcome to the obsession You sound like you're a lot further along than when I joined a short time ago. You have definitely come to the right place. The folks here are the best!
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LegHog View Post
    Just North of Boerne. An in-law has a few hundred acres. All packed up and heading out now with just a quick stop at Bass Pro on the way.
    Welcome to the forum. Pretty Country in that area. Plus Bass Pro Shop is the equivalent of a holy pilgrimage for me.

Hope you have fun on your hang.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast