Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are the DD Tarps any good?

Another DD question. I wasn't planning on getting a tarp, but recent events (high winds) have convinced me (shredded my current tarp). The DD has a nice size in their 3x3 in Green and their own version of multicam (which is FAR too regularly repeating. Anyone else see the repeating pattern EASILY?). Ok, besides my rant on the repeating pattern...

How are their tarps? The tie offs don't look like they are very well reinforced, but it's hard to tell from a photo. I've also heard a few people had them rip out. That's not real good, but the size is just what I'm looking for. So, anyone with them - how are they in your hands? Can't just zoom over the pond to check them out, so thanks for your help.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    Another DD question. I wasn't planning on getting a tarp, but recent events (high winds) have convinced me (shredded my current tarp). The DD has a nice size in their 3x3 in Green and their own version of multicam (which is FAR too regularly repeating. Anyone else see the repeating pattern EASILY?). Ok, besides my rant on the repeating pattern...

How are their tarps? The tie offs don't look like they are very well reinforced, but it's hard to tell from a photo. I've also heard a few people had them rip out. That's not real good, but the size is just what I'm looking for. So, anyone with them - how are they in your hands? Can't just zoom over the pond to check them out, so thanks for your help.
    I'd wait a while, they just announced on BCUK that they're going to start producing them with reinforced tie offs. Although I have the 3x3 standard and it's great. There's been issues with the MC one hence the reinforcement plans.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    My DD 3x3 is now very well abused over 2 years.
    Its survived 70mph winds several times without any damage and done well over 100 nights, its my goto. Ive sewn doors to it too.
    For the price, its untouchable IMO. Have to say though, the tie-outs are worrying on the new ones, its the last thing I want to worry about when the winds howling at night.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have the 3x3 and have not had any issues with it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepmeister View Post
    I have the 3x3 and have not had any issues with it.
    So do I. Works great. Very durable it seems. And gives better protection from the sun than the other tarps that I have (dark environment underneath the tarp).

Though when hiking I bring a lighter tarp.

Great guys, thanks. Did the announcement have any date for the new reinforced version? I like the sound of that.

Turnerminator - Can you post pics of your doors? I was thinking of how to do that, but copying is easier than creating if you've already done it.

Blazeaway - What tarp do you take hiking? That is my need actually, to be a hiking tarp. Most of the really lightweight tarps are super expensive, so I was looking at this one as a compromise between affordable and uber light. If you (or anyone) has a good source of lighter backpacking tarps - please let me know. Lighter is good.

Thanks everybody.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DD 3x3 tarp weighs 650 grams.
    WB Mamajamba weighs 370 grams.

When I go hiking I usually bring WB Mamajamba and set it up in porch mode or if the weather looks good I bring WB The Edge. For winter use I bring WB Superfly.

The affair with hammocks is like fly fishing. There is gear that is best used on Mondays and other gear that is only used in the weekend.

On a tight budget the DD 3x3 is a super tarp, and if you need protection from the sun it is the one to bring. But weight and bulk is a hikers nightmare so you will most properly get a lighter tarp in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blazeaway, Thanks. Yes, I agree that a range of gear is best. Right now, I've got to keep to a budget and try to find the best compromise of features, weight, cost, etc. I like the size of a 3x3 tarp as it offers lots of options. It isn't light though, that concerns me a bit. It is however large enough to hang two hammocks under, so Wife and Daughter can hang under one tarp. Thanks for the pix.

Could you post one more picture? Could you post a picture of the DD rolled up next to something we all know the size of so I can see how large it is? Maybe a Coke Can or something fairly well known. I've heard a few people say it was pretty bulky. That's a concern too, as you mention - it's all gotta fit in my pack. Thanks again.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DD 3x3 on the left next to WB Mamajamba in HH snakeskin’s. The snakeskin’s makes the Mamajamba considerably more bulky, but convenience in setup and takedown time adds up for that. The tarps are seen next to a 14 oz. Nalgene bottle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello,

I use a all DD set up. I have the XL trap , light NO. packs small NO but its a great tarp. I normally set it up with the ends folded in like doors. Love the thing, then again its the only tarp I have or every used Also living in Spain a tarp is used as a sun shade more than a rain shield and the DD trap's are good at that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast