Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps

New and lost!!!!!

Ok I really want to get in to hammock camping. I have run of the mill $20 hammock you buy at any sporting good store. But I am lost at deciding what hammock to get for camping. I have read review after review watch video after video on youtube about the hennessy's the clarks and warbonnet. I was going to buy an HH then came across the clark and decided that the north america was the one I want email a guy that had one for sale. And I got a reply " already gone get a warbonnet ". So I looked at them and It seems like people are dumping the other hammocks for the blackbird. What makes them so much better? Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I think what makes blackbirds so special is that, in my opinion, a little better than other gathered end hammocks in every way. A little more comfortable, the shelf is a little better than having a ridge line organizer, the foot box is a little more comfortable than without, etc. They're priced very fair when compared to hennessy or clark. What you get for their weight is a lot. I like hennessy, but for the price, I feel you get less. Sure you get a tarp, but its barely usable in many conditions, especially for us newer guys. You'd probably switch it out with another one eventually anyway. Clarks seem really cool, they're just heavy and expensive.

Plus, warbonnets hold value.

This is just my opinion and I'm far from trying all hammocks.

Nothing. They all have their pros and cons. I have EnOs, grand Trunks, warbonnets and Clarks. They all have good points and bad points.

Clarks are expensive and heavy?

The ultra lite is light and less expensive than the WBBB assuming you include the tarp purchase.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    When you are dealing with the popular and reputable brands... pretty much anything found on the forum in the vendor's section... it comes down to features and personal preference. Of the ones you mentioned in terms of quality and comfort I think it comes down to which one you like the most that has the features you want. Each one has its loyal following. If you have any special needs then that can change the choice. For example I have mobility issues and can only use the HH bottom entry. I've tried other styles and they are comfortable until I try to get out of them. But for most people... you have narrowed the field to good choices.

If you can find some folk nearby and get together to check things out in person that can really help with a decision. The map on the home page might be of help in that regard.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you can find some folk nearby and get together to check things out in person that can really help with a decision. The map on the home page might be of help in that regard
    Ditto, attending a hang allows you a chance to see other peoples set up and most of them will let you climb in to check it out.
    Last edited by gunner76; 05-29-2011 at 14:01.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps
    Thank you everyone for your input. ramblinrev thank you for the map tip I will have to see if anyone in my area has any of the models I am looking at.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Clarks can tend to be narrow. Some folks like that. Some hate it. Clarks have pockets which some folks use for insulation. Some folks don't see any point in them. HH has a zip option now which they did not used to have. As well as a double layer they did not used to have. Warbonnet offers a wider variety of configurations and fabrics. They's all good.

But even your run of the mill hammock can be fitted with a separate bug net (ENO and Warbonnet each offer one and others might as well.) So that is also a factor you might consider as long as the hammock you have is a solid fabric body and not a net jobber. If it is a gathered end hammock and not a patio hammock you could be good to go with a minimum of fuss. At least to start. But I will warn you... once you see what is out there it is tempting to want them all.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Plus, warbonnets hold value.
    Why do I find this statement so darn humorous? Not trying to be mean, but that just strikes me as such a funny thing to say.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    But I will warn you... once you see what is out there it is tempting to want them all.
    So hammocks are like Pokemon? Gotta have them all!
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast