Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I have 13 ft at home and eyehooks set at 5 foot, though they should be a tad higher. Since January 18, 2011. It is fantastic in the summer time. I set a fan in front of my air conditioner vent and shoot the air right across the bottom of my hammock. Last year the room would be in the 80's but I was cool and comfy in my hammock. This year it's not such an issue as we insulated last year and for the first time in over 20 years it's over 90 outside and whatever I set the air conditioner at inside. Shoot, it even shuts off from time to time. But to keep the wife happy and warm I set the temps up a little higher at night and use the fan trick to keep me from being a sweaty mess.

It's wonderful.

I have mine attached to lag eyes into the studs, although because of the way the space is, they're both in corners, which may be a bit stronger than a stud in the middle of a wall.

I sleep in it regularly, and while I do hear some creaking when I get out in the morning, i've seen no cracks or damage to the wall.

It also happens to be suspended over the bed (used on non-hammock nights), so even if I fell, I would land on the bed about an inch below. (This of course ignores the studs/walls/roof that might fall on ME during a catastrophic failure, but i'm willing to risk that for my back feeling good every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyTom View Post
    This of course ignores the studs/walls/roof that might fall on ME during a catastrophic failure, but i'm willing to risk that for my back feeling good every morning
    That's quite encouraging.

All the replies are much appreciated. Thanks

Well, I'm thinking about doing this in my garage. But, the studs are all still exposed, and it's built with rough cut lumber, with Hurricane braceing. And rather than put up drywall, I'll be using 3/4" plywood.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I used these for an 11' hammock, and it works great 7days straight @ 195#'s, even with what appears to be the most stressful method of hanging which is a Single Line Suspension. I did a test and the weight at the D-ring tripled with the SLS tightened to 2#'s prior to adding weight.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_317659-50881...sales_dollar|1

I anchored them with 3" long x 1/4" Spax lags, just because they did not require pre-drilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Light View Post
    I was thinking about getting rid of my bed, replacing it with a hammock full-time. It would create alot more room for me, room that cannot accommodate a 12'L hammock stand.

Is it safe for an eye bolt to be put into the wall stud? Would it take 160lbs?
    Has anyone tried this, successfully, before?
    Please get back to me.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single Nylon Parachute
    Tarp
    blue from WalMart
    Insulation
    bag/pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joehasbeard View Post
    What about between doors? I think this would be awesome in my bedroom but I don't trust the studs, would there be a way to rig it to a door or window frame?
    I was wondering about this myself, I do not know why a couple of these doorway pull up bars would not support you in a hammock. Provided you have two properly placed doors.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

Hanging in Tokyo

I recently purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird and decided to find a way to string it up in my apartment in the middle of Tokyo since we are in the rainy season.

I came across these at Ikea. I doubled the posts on each side and they seem to be holding my weight. I have slept in it two nights in a row and haven`t had any problems. Note: they are not attached to the ceiling or the floor, but merely lengthened via a bolt on the bottom that applies pressure to the bottom and top. The wife wouldn`t let me drill into the concrete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread....My dad has an old (c. 1972) log cabin 11' x 19' built of balsam poplar logs about 12" in diameter. Besides corner notches, I remember that huge long spikes were added during construction to lock 2 or 3 logs together.

He's tired of mice eating his mattresses, and is going to remove the bed. He's intrigued by the idea of napping in a hammock, so I bought him a WB, and I'll be going up there to install some kind of eyebolt or D-ring set-up next week. Does anyone see any problem with just screwing the bolt into the log, or should I be building a kind of plate of 2 x 4 across several logs? Looks like a diagonal hang will be required due to door position, woodstove location.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Sturgeon. I use 2 eye bolts screwed into the ceiling beams of my garage to hang a brazilian hammock. I checked them a while ago. still good & tight.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Thanks Shadow. I'm hoping an eyebolt is all it takes...

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast