Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    this thread is really getting somewhere, you guys are full of information. I looked at some 3/8" wire eye bolts online and they seem to only have a working load of 40lbs, am I looking at the wrong one or am i just an idiot?
    Only the dreamer venoms all his days,
    Bearing more woe than all his sins deserve.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
    I found D rings with a 2,000 lb capacity but they only have 1/4 inch holes.

Do you think these should be sufficient with 1/4 x 3 inch lag bolts?

Also do you think it's a good advantage to have two D rings on each side?
    That seems to me to primarily cut the angle in 1/2, and puts the weight more vertical on the studs.
    I wonder if I should do the same thing being 150#? If so, I could always just use eye bolts in place of the bottom ones.
    You would have to find out what those lags are rated at . I only used 2 on each side because the property owner wanted it done that way he did not want to listen to me about the fact that all the weight is on the top ones but he owns the house so I put it up the way he wanted it. I am only hanging on the top 2 D-rings the bottom ones currently have the extra webbing tied off just in case the buckles on the webbing slip to date there has been no slipping.
    Last edited by Big Joe; 05-30-2011 at 08:37.
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Just an idea at this point, but couldn't Turtlelady's stand be adapted for this situation?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27777

Replace the tripod with a vertical timber fastened to the corner walls. All the wall has to do is keep the timber vertical, with the timber supporting the vertical load. Sockets in the top hold the chain link rail, which takes the horizontal load. Since the hammock is fastened to the rail so close to the supporting timber, there is little bending moment.

If you used carabiners or snap links to hold the hammock and a multi-piece rail, the entire unit could be assembled/disassembled in seconds.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GW Sears View Post
    Just an idea at this point, but couldn't Turtlelady's stand be adapted for this situation?

[url]http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27777[/url
    I've been toying with this idea as well. Just trying to think of a quick and stealthy put-away option for when the sleeper is finished. We're going to have 4 boys in a single bedroom soon, and 2 bunk-beds will turn that room into nothing more than a corridor. Hammocks, however, could easily save me some space--just gotta figure out what to do with that bar.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

no problem in 10 years

Been hanging indoors every night for 10 years, at home, hotels, anywhere. Weight 140 lbs. Use regular bolts. Eyebolts stick out further so they put a lot of extra sideways torque. A lot of the trick is to get the bolt head as close to the stud as possible. When traveling I generally use a thin strap and hang it diagonally around the corner of a door or window, and close the door/window. Or put a toggle of some sort on the outside and close the door or window (can use a towel or anything). Works a treat, leaves no trace. If necessary I drill a small hole and fill with toothpaste or wet toilet paper before leaving. Currently down to a 6 x 40 mm stainless bolt - actually a screw. Never had the slightest indication of failure, and nobody has ever noticed any hole.
    Start carefully - you're a little heavier.
    Gotta keep hangin!

at home

At home I have a simple pulley on one side. In the morning I pull the hammock up near the ceiling and it stays there all day, with bedding in it. Most people don't even see it.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by GW Sears View Post

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27777

Replace the tripod with a vertical timber fastened to the corner walls. All the wall has to do is keep the timber vertical, with the timber supporting the vertical load. Sockets in the top hold the chain link rail, which takes the horizontal load. Since the hammock is fastened to the rail so close to the supporting timber, there is little bending moment.

If you used carabiners or snap links to hold the hammock and a multi-piece rail, the entire unit could be assembled/disassembled in seconds.
    Bradley (I think) built one similar to this for his daughter. There's a thread with pics, somewhere.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyellahide View Post
    At home I have a simple pulley on one side. In the morning I pull the hammock up near the ceiling and it stays there all day, with bedding in it. Most people don't even see it.
    That is a smart idea.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    I couldn't find a good size eye bolt when I went shopping, but did find these:

Porch Swing Ceiling Hooks

Follow proper prep and installation as noted in this thread by the construction folks! Use at your own risk!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast