Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    +1 on what Wags said. Hex starps save you weight in fabrics and tie out lines and cover you in most situations. Rectangle/squares usually need 3-4 lines per side for a nice taut pitch, diamonds lack year round coverage, but your price range doesn't account for any hex's really. A rectangle or square tarp will take care of you in everything I believe. I'd say atleast 10' x 8' and I actually prefer a 10.5' - 11' ridge line length.

Options could be the pu coated equinox's, guide gear 12' x 12', chinook 12' x 14', hennessy pu coated hex, claytor 10' x 7'(I believe) or save up more because you'll probably end up buying another one soon anyway. In the mean time there's no shame in a wally worl blue tarp. Only shame is not getting out because you don't have a tarp.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Look at this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=chinook+tarp

If you are limited to only one tarp, want all weather protection, and can live with the weight, this size tarp is a good solution. Sticks, hiking poles, etc under two corners will turn it into a lean-to.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    A 10x10 is a good size, offering enough protection to be used in all weather and still able to be vented by changing the pitch - as mentioned above.

I have used an 8 x 10 in all but the nastiest weather and found that it works well to protect me from the elements. It leaves me a little room at the ends to sit and prepare dinner in a storm. A 10 x 10 would offer a little bit more wind protection - extending an extra foot to the ground and blocking the side winds.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Ok.. this is going to sound silly... but there is a good deal of seriousness in it. Go to a big box store and buy a super cheap, sleazy nasty thin plastic paint drop cloth in the size you think you might want, or a little bigger. On a nice calm wind day, or inside, pitch that drop cloth as you would the tarp. Just don't expect to get much use out of it. Then check the issues that you want to make sure work. It won't exactly match the way a tarp would fit but it should get you pretty close. and you can cut it up fwith no great loss if you want to try a different look. That way, for a couple of bucks you can have a pretty good idea what you will be getting when you get your campmor tarp. BTW... those are heavy, but I know folks who use them very successfully if weight is not your primary concern.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a 9X9 Tatonka polycotton that weighs almost 3lbs... so nobody here wants to know about that.

But.. it's fire resistant and doesn't crinkle.... and it weighs about a quarter of my combined sleeping bags weight.

Thanks everybody! thats the kinda of help i needed. so it sounds like the rectangle setup is the way to go. turns out on the campmor site that the finish size of the 10x10 is actually 9'8" x 9'4" and the 10x12 is 9'8" x 11'10"... what would you all recommed here? or should i just go with a 9x9 diamond?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Well if your not worried about weight, and want maximum coverage for bad weather go for the 12x10 setup as a rectangle. Will allow you to pull the corners in on the ends as "storm doors" for those summer time thunderstorms that seem to appear from no where. And you can always pitch it leanto style with it folded over on itself for views in clear conditions.

The reason for so many options is that there isn't one perfect answer for everyone everytime, just a what will work best for each situation. One person might want a small cat cut Hex tarp in conditions someone else wants a BMJ.
    imho,your answer can only be found through experimentation. purchase an inexpensive 10x12 poly tarp and hang it, in the backyard, as many ways as possible and see what you think. then when you have made your chose you can use your poly tarp for household needs and look into making or buying a sil nylon or what ever material.
    or
    just but a big, purpose built, sil tarp like a superfly or similar size/shape and rest easy that you have a very functional, multi-configuration sky shield.
    i'm just sayin'

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by convertee View Post
    Thanks everybody! thats the kinda of help i needed. so it sounds like the rectangle setup is the way to go. turns out on the campmor site that the finish size of the 10x10 is actually 9'8" x 9'4" and the 10x12 is 9'8" x 11'10"... what would you all recommed here? or should i just go with a 9x9 diamond?
    Again, if you can only own one tarp, and you want 4 season, all-weather utility from it, I recommend the 10x12. It will be too much tarp much of the time, but there will also be times when you'll be glad you have it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

ive noticed nobody has said much about the diamond configuration of a 9x9 or 8x8 tarp.. is this just not a favorite of anyone? not enough protection? this is going to be a 3 season tarp i would say, but mostly for summer use up here in maine.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    the diamond is fine for summer, but i'd hate to be out in a 40 degree night with a sideways blowing wind and heavy rain. again, i think your best bet is a hex cut tarp. you may get an offer if you post a "WTB warbonnet big mambajamba or similar" thread in the gear swap...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast