Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Images
    probably would want to attach the actual webbing pull tab to the corner reinforcing patch with stitches (box stitch or similar)

but you could probably attach the corner reinforcement patch to the tarp without stitches, ridge seam and edge hems without stitches too. i think that's how most companies are doing it

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    No cat cut needed? A cuben tarp is sounding even easier to make then.
    Aside from reinforcing the tie outs with a heaver material, it sounds like you can use the cuben tape and avoid the thread injector as well.
    From what I've seen so far, no one is sewing Cuben...so yeah, in that sense, if one is more comfortable with glue than sewing...he or she is gold...

The nice thing about sewing though, is that you can relatively easily remove stitches and go again if you have to...I'd guess gluing Cuben is for life...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    From what I've seen so far, no one is sewing Cuben...so yeah, in that sense, if one is more comfortable with glue than sewing...he or she is gold...

The nice thing about sewing though, is that you can relatively easily remove stitches and go again if you have to...I'd guess gluing Cuben is for life...
    Stormcrow hems the edges,,,,,but that is it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

FWIW...all the guys making cuben are sewing the edges and tieouts..the ridgelines are a mixed bag!

glue or sewing are both much lighter than tape!!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    and as far as the "what type of cuben" questions...

there are multiple weights, thicknesses, and types of cuben being used to make tarps. With no easily obtained list of all the possible cuben materials, no one should say a blanket statement like "cuben fiber tarps do XXX" anymore than someone should say "a ripstop hammock wont hold a person who weighs more than 200 lbs."

with 1.1 ripstop, that might be somewhat accurate, but we all know there are other options out there.

I know that isnt helpful to the people wanting reassurance...sorry!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    No cat cut needed? A cuben tarp is sounding even easier to make then.
    Aside from reinforcing the tie outs with a heaver material, it sounds like you can use the cuben tape and avoid the thread injector as well.
    The cat-cut thing is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt as there are many others that have had their cuben tarp much longer than I and understand the pitch and tautness with/without cat-cut's!!!

Yes you could use the cuben tape to bond the ridgeline, this was how Brian did the ridgeline on mine, he stated to me that he had two of his big and burly football players from his school pull on that thing to try and separate it and couldn't do it! Also WV did a extensive test on glue's and whatnot on cuben (he posted a thread on it) so you could look that one up for reference!

The tie outs you could sew like Warbonnetguy mentioned and then tape over the stitches for reinforcement???

As AC mentioned their are actually some that are sewing the ridges, and pretty much all are sewing the edges! I would be REAL leery of pulling out stitches and then re-doing it as that is now a BIG failure spot, there was a post of a vid that someone did where they sewed a line in cuben and ripped it in half, but I forget the weights of the cuben tested so I would try and find that vid before doing this! Either way it would be your money and fabric so do with it what you will/like!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    What if you tape the ridge and make a semi-cat cut to the tarp. Use the tapered tie out points created by the cut and secure the tie out lines to the tarp with a sheet bend knot. No stitching needed and it seems as though it would be pretty strong.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    FWIW...all the guys making cuben are sewing the edges and tieouts..the ridgelines are a mixed bag!

glue or sewing are both much lighter than tape!!
    Make sure you distinguish between regular tape and adhesive transfer tape. With the latter only the adhesive is transferred to the cuben, no actual "tape". It is a way of applying adhesive (i.e. - glue) in a thinner layer and more accurately than you could with a brush, so it's much lighter than true tapes and also lighter than brush-on adhesives. It may be as light as thread, but I doubt that I could measure them to compare. For smooth materials like cuben, 3M makes two different adhesive transfer tapes, 9460 and 9482. The adhesive layer for each is .002". The same two adhesives are available in thicker formulations (.005") for rough surfaces as 9460 and 9485 - still much thinner than other glues.

Images
    Quest outfitters claims the weight on the transfer tape they sell works out to be 3.5 grams per yard. Not sure how that relates to thread but I doubt it totals an ounce for a tarp unless you use it to hem the edges.

What happens to the edges as the wear? does it fray? If it gets a cut or split at the edge will it run?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Gqgeek, are you sure Quest sells transfer tape? Their single sided cuben tape (which may be made with Mylar, but not cuben) is a lot heavier. I haven't talked with them in a while, but I don't see any transfer tape on their web page.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast