WBBB Dbl1.7/Equip 1-Person
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch

IX Jerry Chair help???

Alright I have finally decided to DIY an under quilt rather than buy one. Actually going to make 3 two summer and one winter. I do a mix of car camping and backpacking. So lighter weight/multi use is good.

I'm going to use Insultex as my insulation.

But as with all first timers I have more than a couple of questions.

I'm going to use this post as my guide.

I know that there are far to many variables to give me straight answeres but I'm looking for your opinions/experience to guide me.

I have read more than a few discussions on IX and for summer 2 layers seems to be the magic number. My questions are I am a warm sleeper (in a normal bed I get hot at 68F) would 2 be enough to get between +/-40F and +/-70F? 3 layers seems to be the magic number for shoulder seasons would 4 be good into the teens or less?

I was also hoping to incorporate a Jerry Chair into the UQ and was looking at his post about it. Based on his design I came up with the rough pattern in the PDF attached.

Would it be better to cut the entire base of the jerry chair out as he has posted and sew that whole section on to the outside of the UQ or would a patch of fabric like I have shown work as well? Would adding the darts/pleats close to the corners and keeping the middle flat work for the gap so I could add the pocket? What would be the best way to attach the pocket to the UQ?

On that same note I have read that Sil is a nightmare to work with because it is so slippery. Would this cause problems with using the quilt in chair mode?

These are the fabrics I have been looking at for the shell of the whole project
    Silnylon

1.9oz Ripstop Nylon DWR

200D Oxford This would be used as the pocket and patch for the poles.

I would like to keep it waterproof but if its not necessary for it to be used as a chair then that can go as well. I'm not gram counter but lighter is better.

I'm totally open to suggestion. And constructive criticism.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Oops the pattern should look more like this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    So do you guys think that 1.1 Sil would work for for a Jerry Chair UQ or should I add the weight and friction of 1.9 DWR nylon? Possibly a combination of the 2?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't think this will work very well. When you sit on it, I would expect the IX to slip on the bottom cover and over-stress the stitching connecting the two.

Hammock
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I don't think this will work very well. When you sit on it, I would expect the IX to slip on the bottom cover and over-stress the stitching connecting the two.
    Thats what I was afraid of. I know tttrailgear.com are making them and they are not on their site yet.

Unless someone else chimes in I think I'll just make a normal 3/4 UQ with the IX.

When the funds are available maybe buy a 5-1 Jerry Chair from tttrailgear.com.

This is the video from MollyMacGear that I got the idea from.
    Last edited by Adarack; 06-01-2011 at 23:50.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Hummmm.....they did use an inner liner which would help relieve some of the pressure at the IX top edge stitching....AND those guys have one heck of a lot more experience than I do.

It still seems like all those layers would slide around and cause problems???

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I'm in the middle of trying to do almost this exact project. I put my pole pocket about 3 or 4 inches down from the top. I am using a 1.1 oz ripstop inner shell on mine. I'm almost done with it. I've sewn the perimeter of the quilt and I've got one edge of the grosgrain channel sewn and I ran out of thread. I'll get some more and finish it in the next couple days. I'm hoping the edge stiching will keep the layers from sliding too much. I'll let you know how it works out when I finish.

Hammock
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Hanger View Post
    I'm in the middle of trying to do almost this exact project. I put my pole pocket about 3 or 4 inches down from the top. I am using a 1.1 oz ripstop inner shell on mine. I'm almost done with it. I've sewn the perimeter of the quilt and I've got one edge of the grosgrain channel sewn and I ran out of thread. I'll get some more and finish it in the next couple days. I'm hoping the edge stiching will keep the layers from sliding too much. I'll let you know how it works out when I finish.
    I would love to know how this turns out. Please keep us posted. :-) Hope it works for you.

Hammock
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Hummmm.....they did use an inner liner which would help relieve some of the pressure at the IX top edge stitching....AND those guys have one heck of a lot more experience than I do.

It still seems like all those layers would slide around and cause problems???
    Thats what I thought as well. But seeing the video made me think that it might not be that big of an issue. Maybe I'll still give it a shot. That worst that can really happen is I bust a seam right?

Still need to decide wich waterproof material to use. Silnylon or the 1.9 dwr from daydreamer. I'm leaning towards the 1.9.
    Fry: "I can't swallow that!"
    Farnsworth: "Well then, good news! It's a suppository."

• + New Posts