Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    That's a lot of paddling and portaging for a 3 day 2 night hang. Are there any routes from Smoke lake that would be more conducive to a base camp situation? I would think if we get a large group of people like the spring hang, getting that many people and canoes/kayaks organized and moving each morning would be an adventure to say the least. There is also the challenge of finding enough sites for the group that have enough suitable trees to hang that many hammocks. The site we had on Tom Thomson for the spring hang was great but the 2 hour paddle after the only portage was taxing to say the least.

Cheers

Brian
    You've touched on the age-old difference between what I call canoe-camping and canoe-tripping.

Although relaxing around a campsite like we did when this spring can be a lot of fun, as you get more comfortable with canoeing, the chance to paddle, explore and sleep on new sites each night is just as, and sometimes even more, appealing. It's just like hiking; new vistas and all that...

Also, you'd be suprised how quickly and efficiently paddlers can break camp and get going in the morning; say 2 hours for packing and breakfast, even less if you don't waste time or there's a bear breathing down your neck. As far as hanging trees go... it's a forest; we might have to spread out a bit, but I'm sure we'll manage.

Finally, I don't think the mileage or the portages will be an issue. We did more lake travelling in the spring, and the portages will be a welcome break from long stretches of paddling.
    Last edited by Chard; 07-05-2011 at 20:04.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I don't think it would be too much of an issue to find adequate hanging spots and I agree with chardpp that getting everyone going in the morning should not be a problem.

I think you have to be in the canoe tripping mindset and pack and set up your gear accordingly. With maps and reservations, we all do not have to leave at the same time. If a couple of teams wants to leave an hour or two later than the others, then that should not be a problem provided there is adequate travel time to get to the next camp site. Also, with this kind of trip, we may be able to travel together but we may not all have the opportunity to camp together.

I only have a couple of canoe trips under my belt but in my backpacking days I really appreciated how moving on the next day offered more adventurous possibilities. I enjoy basecamping but I am interested in the proposed trip.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    You've touched on the age-old difference between what I call canoe-camping and canoe-tripping.

Although relaxing around a campsite like we did when this spring can be a lot of fun, as you get more comfortable with canoeing, the chance to paddle, explore and sleep on new sites each night is just as, and sometimes even more, appealing. It's just like hiking; new vistas and all that...

Also, you'd be suprised how quickly and efficiently paddlers can break camp and get going in the morning; say 2 hours for packing and breakfast, even less if you don't waste time or there's a bear breathing down your neck.

Finally, I don't think the mileage or the portages will be an issue. We did more lake travelling in the spring, and the portages will be a welcome break from long stretches of paddling.
    IMO...Late autumn in Algonquin deserves a frequent change of scenery! Plus, I don't think we will find this route to demanding, its more of a light jog than a sprint.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger

Foiled again ......

I guessed that the fall trip would be 2 weeks prior to this ..... and planned for that. My manager set a workshop in Poland and I was going to show up a couple days late. Now it seems that I will be a couple days late for this trip. I guess my son and I will have to solo.

I get the feeling you guys are planning it so I can't go

I like the distinction between canoe-camping and canoe-tripping.

Leave the fishing gear ..... it is not easy to canoe-trip and fish and the fishing is not worth the extra weight.

Tripping is the way to go in the fall ..... without a doubt. Bring a camera.

The trip looks like it will be a good one. Have fun and be safe.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I agree whole heartedly with Chardd, The whole canoe tripping experience is a good one. It is true sometimes you have to look at a few sites as you pass to find something appropriate but we've always been lucky.

Are you bringing the bear suit for our late risers?

Bubba, I'm still on the edge as to whether I want to bring in a kayak or a canoe. If I end up in a kayak then you will need another partner. I am considering a canoe only because I am much more comfortable with packing and portaging one.

I'll keep the group updated as to where my heart and wallet end up putting me!

Dan.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    I agree whole heartedly with Chardd, The whole canoe tripping experience is a good one. It is true sometimes you have to look at a few sites as you pass to find something appropriate but we've always been lucky.

Are you bringing the bear suit for our late risers?

Bubba, I'm still on the edge as to whether I want to bring in a kayak or a canoe. If I end up in a kayak then you will need another partner. I am considering a canoe only because I am much more comfortable with packing and portaging one.

I'll keep the group updated as to where my heart and wallet end up putting me!

Dan.
    Ok Dan, sounds good.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    I'm definitely more comfortable moving every day rather than setting up a base camp. This looks like a pretty good route. I'd think about stopping a little earlier on Day 1 and move a bit of paddling to Day 2, given the long drive up in the morning plus the car shuttle. But maybe Bonnechere is a nicer lake to be on.

When I go with inexperienced paddlers, I like to do something like 10km - 15km - 10km to keep everyone nice and comfortable. This is a little over that so I think some people could find themselves pretty tired on Day 3, but you do have the alternate route for that day so this could work out really well.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just as a point of reference, I paddled the entire loop (Smoke-Bonnechere-Head-Smoke) solo back around 2001 in a single, grueling, windy, 12-hour day. Taking three days to do the Smoke-Cache route shouldn't be an issue, especially as there's a good chance we'll have the wind at our backs the first day (of course, now I've jinx'd us ).

As for sites on Big Porcupine or Bonnechere, both are good lakes, but there's a nice hardwood forest high on the hill up behind the first site on Bonnechere. Very pretty indeed, and a fun sidetrip.

If we get enough people, and there's still enough interest in basecamping, we could consider splitting into two groups, the Trippers and the Campers. The latter could do the short paddle into Head Lake and spend both nights there, meeting up with the Trippers sometime Saturday afternoon. The only caveat would be that the Campers have to carry in all of the beer!!!

As for meals, I've been on a dehydrating kick, so I'm good to do my own thing for the whole weekend. I do think, however, that we all enjoyed the comraderie, not to mention the quality of our group meals. It goes without saying that a grill-fest at some point during the weekend is a must, but a nice fish/seafood chowder might be a welcome option as well. Of course, the goulash and the weinee-wellingtons were hits and shouldn't be discounted. Finally, whatever we decide, we will be portaging, so weight is a factor.
    Last edited by Chard; 07-07-2011 at 10:28.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Here's a breakdown of the route by day...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    One that has a roof
    Tarp
    strong and sturdy
    Images
    Trippers vs Base is an age old question and well put Chard. As for gettting people up and going it was always easier with tenters... just pull the tent lines and pegs - people get up fast :-) . Now that Chard has jinxed us on a head wind on Smoke Lake (a nasty proposition trust me!!!) the route is fairly good pace and distance a good stretch but very doable. The longer portages may be a challenge for some folks. I do like the idea of having a base group and a tripper group if there is enough for the base group. - me I shall be on the tripper group :-) Since my canoeing partner has gone to the dark side of Kayaking - I will need a canoeing partner - not sure I want to solo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast