DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images

Synthetic Top-Quilt: King Tut v2.0

Hey gang,

A while back I took a stab at making a synthetic TQ using IX insulation. Recently I finished a second version of this which I think is even better.
    The King Tut v2.0 is a double layer IX TQ which features 5 X 5 inch air pockets throughout. The pockets are created by sewing pleats into the IX.

The bottom layer which measures 48 X 80 inches has 9 longitudinal pleats that stand 1/4 inch high. The top layer measures 50 X 80 inches and 15 lateral pleats also standing 1/4 inch high. The two layers are assembled with the pleats facing each other. The difference in width between the two layers in combination with the facing pleats creates a loft effect.

The foot box is a simple draw-cord with cord-locks (optional) on the end with a 26 inch Velcro tape along the running edge. My feet are size 12, but with 48 inches of overall width I find that I have plenty of foot room. The rig is easy to vent simply by opening the end and/or releasing the Velcro.

The shell of the TQ is calendared 1.1 RS nylon. Together the two types of material hold a lot of air, in much the same way that down does (at a fraction of the cost). I find that contrary to what some have said, the IX compresses very well. And so far it has proven to be very durable.

I don't know for certain what the limits of the TQ are. I had v1.0 up on Mount Royal with the temperature at -8C with a IX UQ and was quite comfy inside my 4S Man Cave tarp. Also I have no idea how much it weighs, but my guess would be around 14-16 oz.

Have a peak at some of the pics. The last one shows the TQ in a stuff sack next to my knife (10 inches long) for size comparison.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Oh cool- I'm first.

This is awesome! My IX UQ is in progress, a TQ is next and your pattern (if I may copy it) looks great. Nice design and execution. Love the thoughtfulness on getting/keeping the dead air space.

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    Oh cool- I'm first.

This is awesome! My IX UQ is in progress, a TQ is next and your pattern (if I may copy it) looks great. Nice design and execution. Love the thoughtfulness on getting/keeping the dead air space.
    You might want to look at the pics for the Reactor UQ that I made as well. It is a double layer IX with a reflective Mylar sheet in the middle. The top layer of IX is 42 X 60 inches, the bottom layer is 44 X 60 inches. The Mylar is cut 5 inches shorter at each end to avoid the necessity of pleating and to avoid moisture retention.

I made the UQ and the TQ at the same time (along with a 4 season Man Cave tarp, and bug net) and field tested both of them in Missouri last week. We were caught in violent thunderstorms with high winds gusting to 65mph for three days. I was very cozy, but the TQ was too warm. Feel free to copy the design. Most of what you see was adapted from ideas shared on this forum.

Cheers

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jspate61 View Post
    You might want to look at the pics for the Reactor UQ that I made as well. It is a double layer IX with a reflective Mylar sheet in the middle. The top layer of IX is 42 X 60 inches, the bottom layer is 44 X 60 inches. The Mylar is cut 5 inches shorter at each end to avoid the necessity of pleating and to avoid moisture retention.
    An UQ is on my project list, and I was thinking of maybe doing it like that. Really haven't decided what type I'll do yet... How low have you gone with that UQ and been comfortable...

peace

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ciphoto View Post
    An UQ is on my project list, and I was thinking of maybe doing it like that. Really haven't decided what type I'll do yet... How low have you gone with that UQ and been comfortable...

peace
    That particular UQ is only a week old, so the lowest night time temp so far was 65F. I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts (no socks). I didn't need the TQ at all. I tend to be what they call a "warm sleeper". I would have no trouble using it for spring, summer, and fall. Winter may be another story...

I tested a similar prototype UQ with the same TQ here in Montreal on top of Mount Royal in March (or was it April?). At that time the temp was 23F under sunny skies with winds gusting to about 25mph. I was wearing jeans, a polar fleece shirt, and wool socks under a closed four season tarp I had made. Inside I was snug as bug in a rug. I had intended to use my down jacket to wrap around my feet, but was just fine without it.

To be fair, I only had a couple of hours to do that test (during daylight hours - see enclosed snaps). It is quite possible that I would have felt some cold spots had I spent the night there. There you have it. I hope that helps.

Cheers

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, 23 is pretty good. But I'm more of a natural sleeper, and trend towards warm, so it would probably do good in the 35/40 range for me...

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The 5x5 quilting seems like a good idea. I'm enjoying reading your DIY posts.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts