Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Replacement rods for NX-150 and NX-250

and any other Clark hammocks using these.

Harbor Freight sells 2 different kits of ten 39" or 12" 3/16" fiberglass rods with threaded brass connector at the ends of the rods, and a hook with which to fish tape. Because that's what both, a 10 foot kit and a 33 foot kit, are about -- electrician's variable-length wire-fishing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-in...kit-65326.html and item 65327

Kits are $10 - $12 each. (One rod from the shorter kit and one from the longer gives you exactly the 51" needed for each of the Clark 3-rod-poles.) The brass is a little heavier than the kite-part connectors Clark uses. Screwed together, the flexibility and therefore strength seemed comparable to the the Clark OEM rods.

I didn't buy and can't report whether the fittings could be pulled off and then re-glued to shortened and easier-to-pack / harder-to-forget rod segments.

I'd guess that other electrical supply house sell similar. Beats shipping costs.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    After forgetting the too-long-to-fit-the-kit Clark rods on one outing, I returned to Harbor Freight for other stuff, found the short rods were actually 13" each with threads, and bought the 10' kit of 10 for $9. That gives 2 sets each totaling the same 51" as in the original equipment. Plus 2 spares.

They worked very nicely overnight, no matter the engineering preference to have the apex of an arc be in the middle of a segment rather than at the union of two. Especially at the head end, the fabric channel on the NA and NX models supports the union well.

So, I'm pleased to keep the rods together with the Clark bag. At worst, the yellow are cheap backup; and at best, they can remind me, again in yellow, to take the Clark OEM rods, if those are not too long.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the info DemostiX.

I went and got an NX250 a few weeks ago, because you keep on recommending them. I went to HF and got the poles on sale for $8 & $6.

I put the shock cords on both ends with cord locks. I hated the rope, so I made a couple of whoopies with rings. I used a purple ring & biner for the head end and blue ones for the tail (I didn't have any green).

The only issue so far is if I've stuffed the pockets with clothes (OK, balled up, not folded flat), it actually causes air gaps between the Incubator UQ and the body, which leave cold spots.

I didn't have the HF poles at the time of this photo, but as you said, put a 12" on the outside of each end of a 33" and they'll arch fine & still fit. My original poles measured out to about 51" overall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boomer; 02-22-2013 at 16:07.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Boomer:

Glad my fixes worked for you too, including the gentle pull-back elastic on the hood-hoops to pull back the netting and provide that last measure of airiness inside -- that was from another thread.

Now, what we really want to know and you might uniquely provide is: some comparisons between the Clark NX-250 and the Dream-hammock!!!.

Technical and otherwise unknown-- such as size as zippers -- to the purely subjective; all would be of interest and contribute to the knowledge base here.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Custom OT Setup
    Suspension
    Webbing

Replacement rods for NX-150 and NX-250

I can provide replacement rods made of graphite, fiberglass, or carbon fiber.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    After forgetting the too-long-to-fit-the-kit Clark rods on one outing, I returned to Harbor Freight for other stuff, found the short rods were actually 13" each with threads, and bought the 10' kit of 10 for $9. That gives 2 sets each totaling the same 51" as in the original equipment. Plus 2 spares.

They worked very nicely overnight, no matter the engineering preference to have the apex of an arc be in the middle of a segment rather than at the union of two. Especially at the head end, the fabric channel on the NA and NX models supports the union well.

So, I'm pleased to keep the rods together with the Clark bag. At worst, the yellow are cheap backup; and at best, they can remind me, again in yellow, to take the Clark OEM rods, if those are not too long.
    Old thread but I just got a set of the 13" rods and found 4 (+) vinyl - rubber end caps in my parts doodads bins that fit snugly. These are going to work nicely.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG &amp; HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Man View Post
    I can provide replacement rods made of graphite, fiberglass, or carbon fiber.
    How do the connect and what price ranges? I love my NX270 but I'm ready to trim off their horribly bulky connectors. They grab on everything!
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    How do the connect and what price ranges? I love my NX270 but I'm ready to trim off their horribly bulky connectors. They grab on everything!
    They are fiberglass rods used for fishing cabling through walls and come in a clear plastic tube. The individual 12 1/2" (including the fittings) rods connect with screw-in brass fittings. I think I paid $9 + sales tax. One tube with 10' of rods should do both ends of a Clark with two rods remaining for spares.

Brian

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    And I'm back 6 years later with this advice: several tight wraps of cello tape around the fiberglass ends to reduce green-stick fractures at the brass tips.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    And I'm back 6 years later with this advice: several tight wraps of cello tape around the fiberglass ends to reduce green-stick fractures at the brass tips.
    I am very happy to see your response, and receive another another great tip from you. Hope all is with you and yours.

Brian

• + New Posts