Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Need noob-to-design section?

ISTM there are only four serious bed designs here.

Everybody can get their mind around the gathered-end rectangle, what most hammocks are, however elaborated on.

Then, there's the rectangle with a spreader bar. We all grew up with them, at one time or another, But, I can't find analysis of this back-yard and indoor design, except to find it recommended.

Third, Grizzly Adams has current (or recent) articles and many videos covering the JRB bridge with full scholarly attribution to the people working on that theme.

And then, there's the Warbonnet Blackbird. Despite the fact it seems an overwhelming favorite now, it currently isn't easy -- I haven't found it possible -- to go back in archives with search terms and find the development and evolution of this other, major departure, from the basic rectangular bed.

The last thing I'm after is a shrine to the WBBB. Rather, I want easy access to the empirics and the design so it ISN'T such a shrine, so it is easier to find out what Brandon (and others) discovered.

Maybe the moderators or a couple of seniors would do a bit of bibliographic work, pointing to some of the important threads on this asymmetric design?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I would suggest you wait until the patent for the Blackbird is granted. Then you can access the patent application and get all that information from the source. But until that happens I would expect that kind of information will remain proprietary.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    The WBBB has been DIY'ed by atleast one hanger..........look up the Warbird!!!!! Also, Ramblinrev is correct, good luck getting anyone at WO to give you the plans with out considerable financial re-imbursement or an all out frontal assault by a herd of ninja turtles!!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    There are occasional references to DIY versions of WBBB.

Are you two saying that it just suddenly emerged from Warbonnetguy, and there are no discussions here or in predecessor sites of the issues and innovations that went into it?

Or is the WB power so great that all traces of ancestry, lineage, and development have been removed from the record? <smile>?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    What I am saying is that I do not remember the design and development process being public. We knew there was something going on in his fertile brain but until it was released only a few close and trusted members got to see it if I remember correctly.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I was doing a Google search and found an interesting trail journal mentioning Brandon and Hennessy and Trail Days... that's the earliest I remember hearing about any of it. I think Brandon's creation was fairly well designed before he ever joined Hammock Forums, so there won't be a lot of mentions of HOW it was done here in the archives.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=215481

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I was doing a Google search and found an interesting trail journal mentioning Brandon and Hennessy and Trail Days... that's the earliest I remember hearing about any of it. I think Brandon's creation was fairly well designed before he ever joined Hammock Forums, so there won't be a lot of mentions of HOW it was done here in the archives
    I remember hearing about the demise of the Eldorado and some of the fuss surrounding that. Then there were posts about a new design but nothing specific that I remember. Just comments about how innovative it was going to be. That's it as far as I can remember.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    The gathered end hammock, the spreader bar hammock, and the bridge hammock are all common knowledge hammock concepts that go back decades and centuries. All of our threads in the DIY section basically deal with the problems, solutions, and new ideas for creating one of these three basic shapes.

Technically, the WBBB is a variant of the gathered end hammock. There is extra material for a foot box and some other nifty features like tie outs. But essentially it is still a gathered end hammock. When Brandon decided to make the Black Bird, I can be fairly positive that he made a choice early on to attempt to patent the idea if it worked the way he thought it would. With that in mind, it was only natural for him to keep the design to himself until it was developed enough to go public and him be able to keep his name on it.

If you really want to know how the WBBB is made, read all of the DIY section. All the parts are in there somewhere. I would bet on it. Not all from one person but bits and pieces from a dozen or more folks. It just takes some research to put all the parts together.

(STORY)
    Shortly after the Space Shuttle Program was started, a fella made a T-Shirt to sell that showed a cut away of the Shuttle with many of its internal workings. After his first big selling spree, the CIA, FBI and a couple of other groups came by his house to ask how he managed to get his hands on higher than top secret information. He was about to be lost under a jail somewhere! Anyway, this fella took his visitors to the local library and showed them where he found every bit of information he used to build his picture. All their super top secret information was at the public library for anyone willing to do the work to find it.
    (End Story)

Do the research, find the answers, enjoy the project, hang around!

Peace,
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I remember hearing about the demise of the Eldorado and some of the fuss surrounding that. Then there were posts about a new design but nothing specific that I remember. Just comments about how innovative it was going to be. That's it as far as I can remember.
    That's basically what I recall too.

WBG: "Hey check out my hammock."(Eldorado)
    Hammockers: "Yes, Very nice, looks promising."
    Other hammock maker: "I don't like that you should do that, it looks a bit familiar."

WBG heads off to the lab, Hammockers kick dust, some fuss ensues.
    Meanwhile back in the lab...Insert power tool noises and a flash of lightning, and the old "IT'S ALIVE".
    WBG emerges, holds up new creature, uh creation.

WBG: "I call it the Blackbird."
    Hammockers: OHH, Ahhh,... Wow that's just nifty,.... Oh I do love that bit,... looky here at this bit,...oh my,... well, I'll have to have one,... OHHH We'll take at least two each!... Etc. etc. etc.

A fuss ensues (good this time), and the rest is public info and easily traced to where we are now.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

• + New Posts