WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I guess that would be slightly faster than the ubiquitous urls everywhere. But it sure does "ugly up" a business card.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Well, the QR Code worked fine - took me right to the home page here. Of course, I am always here anyway, sooooo...I guess I coule print it out to give to folks. Right now I just give 'em the website URL. 6 = 1/2 dozen???

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    heh... I am so behind the times I only have one hammock and it's an old HH. My phone is as stupid as they come. Which is pretty stupid. So I guess this leaves me in the dirt.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Don't worry about the hurdle of new tech, you've got to learn to use everything, this is new "not natural tech" - think about small kids having to learn to walk, impossible at first - but fast becomes second nature, and pretty soon they'll run.... it's all the same with mobile tech and computers
    I missed the first four or five PHONE calls on my new PHONE because I couldn't figure out how to answer the darn thing. But I was surfing HF the second I had it charged up out of the box!

Those of us who are not naturally tech savvy, I think, have a set point in the evolution of technology where we can pinpoint EXACTLY where we lost the ability to quickly grasp the newest gadgetry. For me, it was the cell phone/MP3/iPod (mobile tech, I suppose) era. Have I/will I learn? Sure...just in time for that dang iBrain to come out. I would have been the black sheep Jetson kid.

I am forever thankful for you tech types getting us through our dark times, as I'm sure you all are forever thankful for us entertaining the heck out of you.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    El cheapo from Bass Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs
    Suspension
    DIY Straps & sling
    What is really sad is when you ARE the tech guy and your kids have to teach you stuff. I hope the boss never finds out.
    Shoreborn

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Of course my iPhone is slow in starting apps,

I used to have the same problem, before I found how to close apps

speeds the phone and extends the battery life
    simply press the home button twice a bottom menu bar will appear, just press and hold on an app icon and it will allow you to turn the app off
    have fun!!!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    I used to have the same problem, before I found how to close apps

speeds the phone and extends the battery life
    simply press the home button twice a bottom menu bar will appear, just press and hold on an app icon and it will allow you to turn the app off
    have fun!!!
    Hmmm. On my 3G, pressing home twice only brings up my favorites phone number list, and no bottom menu option to close apps. I don't think I have the latest greatest as you must have. But I digress. Thanks for the tip!

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

I don't think it's a matter of understanding the tech. To me it always comes down to getting a satisfactory answer to the question "what problem does it solve?".
    While new here, I am a 20 year veteran in the Tech Industry. QR codes are just like a business card. They are really good at trade shows and demonstration events, as well as magazines, flyers and posters.

If you were at an outdoor trade show, thousands of people could walk by and scan your code and have it in their phone for future reference. While (sort of) fairly new, it is a quite popular method of getting your data to your customer.

Instead of trying to remember was that hammockforums.com, or was it hammockforum.net? Insteead, a quick scan, and it is stored accurately for review when you get time.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Don't get me wrong, I do see the value in quickly getting and storing website urls. And I know that from the marketing side there are tools that are used to measure which hits come from these codes to measure the effectiveness of a campaign, I just don't see HF going on a membership drive anytime soon (speaking only for myself here, not HF). We have thus far acquired our membership through the quality and quantity of our content, and I expect that will continue. Again, JMO.

I do appreciate having the HF QR code though. I do think it's cool and valuable.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Planet Hammock
    Hi Patrick,

This has nothing to do with any membership, iy's just a cool new piece of technology that can be used to inform your friends and people who are interested in hammocking to lead the way to this forum where they can find pretty much all the answers to their Q's.

For example, I print it on my businesscards:

This is a dummy QR code)

You could print one and hang it in your local supermarket on a messageboard or so, or a gas station...

This is what i made for a re-seller:

Don't get me wrong, I do see the value in quickly getting and storing website urls. And I know that from the marketing side there are tools that are used to measure which hits come from these codes to measure the effectiveness of a campaign, I just don't see HF going on a membership drive anytime soon (speaking only for myself here, not HF). We have thus far acquired our membership through the quality and quantity of our content, and I expect that will continue. Again, JMO.

I do appreciate having the HF QR code though. I do think it's cool and valuable.
    WINTEC TRADING (click here)

Statistics show that people with the most birthdays live the longest

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast