Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Slowhike is right about the PeaPod...the hammock holds the pod off of your body so it gets chilly somewhere in the 50s. But if the bottom is snug to the hammock, using a top quilt makes it a great system...and brings the weight up to what an over-/underquilt weighs for similar temps.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Are the weights of pea pods/top quilts and bottom/top quilts the same? I always thought that pea pods where a heavier option. I figured that they had more material and insulation then the bottom quilt.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    IIRC, my 900fp PeaPod is 31 oz, with a 2 oz overstuff. Add a 16 oz top quilt and it'll probably get me into the low 30s for 47 oz.

My JRB 3 Season Set is close to that if I include suspension and overstuff, and it'll get me to upper 30s...but I can wear it and leave the jacket at home, so IMO the weight still slightly favors the JRB set.

So if you're willing to spend the money on the 900fp PeaPod, the weight is pretty much a wash and the cost is close. If I were choosing between JRB underquilts or a Speer PeaPod, I'd set aside weight and base my decision on what hammock I use. In my experience, the PeaPod works better on Speer-type hammocks than the Nest, but obviously the PeaPod doesn't work on a Hennessy. Then look at the multi-use of the JRB if you're willing to leave a jacket at home. Remember that you can wear a PeaPod as a camp robe but it's a bit bulky for my taste.

Of course, if you make your own hammock you can use the money you saved to go all out on a PeaPod with a No Sniveler top quilt. Add a pad and you're probably set for below zero temps.

All just my opinions, of course...YMMV.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 12-22-2006 at 01:38.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

Of course, if you make your own hammock you can use the money you saved to go all out on a PeaPod with a No Sniveler top quilt.
    Whoa there, you'd have to go way way all out if you include the No Sniveler on a tight budget discussion, even after making your own hammock. Ogri, how tight a budget are we talking about here?

Not trying to start anything, esp. with JRB being so well represented on this site and all, but please explain to me how the No Sniveler fits in there. (ducking and cringing )

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah, good point. If the budget is that tight, you could always make a quilt with a head hole. Making a baffled down PeaPod would be a bit tougher, but making a synthetic one should be pretty easy. Compared to a down one, at least.

Images
    Thaks Jeff that was what I was looking for. I am pretty set with my nest, but next year I see myself upgrading from using my sleeping bag to something else. First I may try to make my own and see what happens.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Nomads land
    Tarp
    Tatonka 3x4m
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Ogri, how tight a budget are we talking about here?
    Thanks all,
    Not sure I could put a figure on it as I have other hobies and a family to support, lets just say as little as possible. So far I've paid less than £20 for a hammock, a few pounds on tie straps and cord, probably near £60 on tarps. My thoughts behind my pod project were to keep it as thrifty as possible (£10 for the duvet, £7 for the sock material, then add a few pounds [Sterling] for sundries like thread, zips etc). Its hard to justify several hundred pounds on a winter hammock set-up that only I can enjoy while the kids want to play outdoors as well. Thats when it gets really expensive!
    I suppose I was wondering what the early modern hammock campers used before all the latest modern equipment became available. I'm enjoying the process of making the bits and pieces, but I need to keep a tight rein on the money as the good lady will want her pound-of-flesh if things get beyond her comfort zone.

Cheers everyone, have a great Christmas.

Ogri the trog

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogri the trog;.
    Thanks all..I suppose I was wondering what the early modern hammock campers used before all the latest modern equipment became available. .Cheers everyone, have a great Christmas.

Ogri the trog
    i suspect the early hammockers were only found in the tropics... or moderate climates anyway<g>.
    and merry Christmas to you & to all!!!
    God bless us... God bless us every one. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make a homemade Speer-type, a homemade SPE, and use your existing bag as a top quilt (or cut off the zippers and convert it to a real top quilt). Cheap and easy.

Hammock
    Nomads land
    Tarp
    Tatonka 3x4m
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Pod
    Well I don't want to say that it was a complete success but at the least it was the first step on the journey of warm hammocking. I've posted the full story on BushcraftUK and heres a link http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community...ad.php?t=17722
    ...The result is not lightweight and not compact but it worked for the night I spent out and I'm willing to try it again at a lower temperature as the winter progresses here in the UK. My kids now want their own so they can join in the fun!

ATB

Ogri the trog

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast