Thread: Hello from Wyo

Hey Mick

Hello from Wyo

Just wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm a new hammock guy, and have been really interested in them since I found a some vids on YouTube. I started with a Grand Trunk UL but it was too short for me, and I'm a short guy 5'8", but they are great for the kids. So I bought some ripstop and went to town making hammocks. I usually use 4 yards per 'mock. Gathered end style, 3 so far, all with paracord as suspension. They work great. I have only hung twice over night in the backyard at this point, and am learning lots each time.

The first time with my daughter (2 weeks ago) it got down into the low 30's. I was warm for the most part except the wind was blowing right through the ends of my tarp and pounding me in the face...burr. My daughter didn't have that problem because of the way we hung hers. We were both on foam pads, and in sleeping bags.

Last night my son and I camped out. I figured out how to close the ends of the tarps and didn't feel wind at all. It being Wyoming, the gusts were in the 40's but it was not felt at all. Good nights sleep. I will say that "nature calls" breaks are a pain. Especially when using pads and sleeping bags. Definitely need to look into quilts. Getting settled in again is a PIA.

I am going to stay out again tonight I think, and learn even more.

Take care all.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    hey Hey Mick,
    i've always wanted to hang in Wyo!
    welcome to HammockForums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Mick View Post
    Just wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm a new hammock guy, and have been really interested in them since I found a some vids on YouTube. I started with a Grand Trunk UL but it was too short for me, and I'm a short guy 5'8", but they are great for the kids. So I bought some ripstop and went to town making hammocks. I usually use 4 yards per 'mock. Gathered end style, 3 so far, all with paracord as suspension. They work great. I have only hung twice over night in the backyard at this point, and am learning lots each time.

The first time with my daughter (2 weeks ago) it got down into the low 30's. I was warm for the most part except the wind was blowing right through the ends of my tarp and pounding me in the face...burr. My daughter didn't have that problem because of the way we hung hers. We were both on foam pads, and in sleeping bags.

Last night my son and I camped out. I figured out how to close the ends of the tarps and didn't feel wind at all. It being Wyoming, the gusts were in the 40's but it was not felt at all. Good nights sleep. I will say that "nature calls" breaks are a pain. Especially when using pads and sleeping bags. Definitely need to look into quilts. Getting settled in again is a PIA.

I am going to stay out again tonight I think, and learn even more.

Take care all.
    Hey Mick, welcome to the HF! My 1st ever hammock camping- about 4 years ago- was in in of my all time favorite places, the magnificent Wind Rivers of WY! I have managed one other trip - again with hammocks - to the Winds since then. Love your country out there!

Hey Mick
    Hey guys! That's for the replies, yes Wyoming is a great state. The Wins are fantastic. I live in Casper at the moment, but the house goes on the market tomorrow and we're moving to Buffalo right at the base of the Big Horn Mtns. Lots of hanging in the future I'm sure.

• + New Posts