Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Hoosier Hangers - Brown Hollow, June 11th & 12th

After looking at my schedule, it looks like the weekend after next is going to be the only one I have available for backpacking this month. Here's what I have in mind if I can find at least one person to join me. . . I want to park one car at the south Nebo trail head, and another at the end of Combs Rd, south of the pines. I'm leaning toward starting the hike on the Nebo Ridge trail on Saturday morning, camping at the Hollow (* - more on that in a minute) and ending up at the pines sometime on Sunday. I may stay at the pines on Sunday night since I don't have to work 'till noon on Monday, but I'm not sure yet.

* - It has occurred to me that the spot that everyone has been camping at and calling "the hollow" isn't REALLY in Brown Hollow. So on this trip, I'd like to explore the actual hollow, and possibly camp somewhere other than the usual spot. When I was looking for the spot for the Hoosier Hang, I got a little lost and spent some time in the hollow proper, partly because I thought that was where I needed to look for everyone. On my way through, I saw one spot with lots of flowers growing that was probably an old home sight, and some nice stands of pine. With the rain and the fact that I was waaay behind the rest of the group that stayed in the pines the night before, I was in a bit of a rush and I'd like to spend some more time poking around down there and see what can be seen. Mostly I'd like to find a camp sight that's a little further off the main trail. HomeMadeHiker learned a little something of the perils of hanging too close to the trail last weekend. . . A group of horseback riders came by, and one of the horses left him a present right at the end of his hammock.

Alright, I'll stop rambling on. Let me know what you think, and we'll see what we can work out. Hope to see a few of you out there.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Well, since I haven't had any takers I'm going to go ahead and change plans a bit. I'll be parking along Berry Ridge Rd, hiking the section of the Nebo Ridge trail that runs more or less East-West toward Combs Rd, and then turning it into a loop by taking the Hollow trail back to Berry Ridge Rd. Depending on what time I get out there on Saturday morning (hopefully pretty early), I may head down to the pines or up on to Browning Hill for a little while, but I still plan to get down to the hollow early enough to explore and find an out of the way camp site for Saturday night.
    Don't alter my altar
    My church is the water

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    We've got a group hang up near Cadillac mi if you'd like to join us. I'm sure you hitch a ride with someone out of grand rapids

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Very tempting, Bloomgorge. I think I'm going to have to pass this time though. I'll keep an eye out for other Michigan hangs. I'd definitely like to visit the state some time.

The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of a solo hike and hang this weekend. Before this spring, I'd almost exclusively spent my time in the woods alone. After a few trips with other people, I've found that I do enjoy having company, but I'm kinda missing the solitude right now.
    Don't alter my altar
    My church is the water

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Spears
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Woopie Toggle
    Man wish I could join ya this weekend salamander but got to much going. Let us know how that loop works. Sounds like a good plan.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Checking in from atop browning hill. It's a fabulous day for hiking here in Indiana.
    Don't alter my altar
    My church is the water

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You got some SWEET weather. Jealous here.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    It was a fantastic trip, and my mission was successful. I ended up camping right off of the trail, but I found one little hollow that's nice and secluded too. It may not be able to accommodate the Hoosier Hang or anything, but I'd bet five or ten people could find good spots to hang there. It's right behind what I think may be another old abandoned home sight. I also checked out an old cemetery further down the hollow, followed an old road/trail up on to Kirk Hill, and saw another road/trail that branches off of that one at the top of the hill. I'll have to explore that one next time. The main road/trail that goes up and over Kirk Hill and drops down into the next hollow over (Creamer Hollow) which is also now on the list of places to check out. I talked to someone on the trail who said that you can follow the stream that runs through the hollow all the way to the middle branch of Salt Creek and hook around back to the North Nebo trail head to make a loop. I'm all about hiking loops instead of going out and back on the same path, so I'll definitely be giving that a try some time.

I'll get some pics and more info up later this week. Right now I've got chores to take care of because I put them off to get on the trail earlier on Saturday.

By the way, you all missed out on some incredibly good hiking and camping weather.
    Don't alter my altar
    My church is the water

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    gmcttr....

How do you feel, what did the Doctor say....you doing ok???

Salamander....Sorry I could not make it, I have had a terrible viral infection for the ast 5 days.....had to take a trip to the Hospital on Friday for tests...this is not good. although feeling better here...not yet 100%

Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Jerry...I'm doing well. PM sent.

• + New Posts