HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    70D HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    JRB HSS(complete)

My attempt at a sleeping bag underquilt

The wife and I woke this morning and found that our RCD had died overnight, so one of us had to stay home. Seeing as my wife is nearly 26 weeks pregnant and will be taking a year off once she pops I decided I'd take a day off to play "see which electrician will actually turn up", but I digress.

After the sparky had done his thing and put in a new RCD, I decided to start playing with the cheap ($59AU) sleeping bag I'd purchased last night to use as an UQ.

It's a 190cmx75cm bag with a filling of "hollow fibre 200g/sm" and is rated for +6c (~43f for those who grew up with a strange system of measurement!) and weighs in at 1.2kg (I'm not a gram weenie ). It's also has two pretty shades of blue!

Don't laugh at my "test bed" so to speak. The bag is just tied on with some paracord and other rope I had handy so I could get an idea of what it would look like.

The biggest issue I can see is that the tie out points on my HH are going to be stuck under the UQ. I was thinking of putting some grommets in where the tie out points would be and running them through them. Any other suggestions?

I've also got to lower the head end a little bit so it's lower down and covers my feet just a little bit more.

Next is to make some triangles, probably out of amsteel as I've got 100ft of it sitting here from the group buy

Obligatory photos:

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    that's a great start, if I might just make a suggestion, move it lower on the hammock body, it will keep you warmer
    are you going to use it only as a UQ or you want to keep it as a regular sleeping bag as well
    if you will only be using it as a UQ maybe cut it a bit narrower, that way you wont have to put grommets in (and reduce the weight at the same time)
    if you have a thread injector you could sew channels on either side to pass the suspension
    good luck on your project and the project you and your wife are having as well

one quick question what is an RCD

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    70D HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    JRB HSS(complete)
    Yeah, I will be lowering it, I just had limited resources available today to do any better This was just an attempt and seeing how it would look!

I'll really only be using it for an underquilt. I don't want to do any major work on the sleeping bag, so I'll just be putting loops on it an using triangles to hold it on to the ridgeline.

An RCD is like a circuit breaker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Cheers,

Jason.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Have thread injector, and quick unpick, and shock cord, and a complete disregard for others property, let the destruction begin!

Yes, we are DIY'ing this thing at my place. Just gotta figure out where to hang two hammocks in my yard.

(Is it still DIY if I do half the work? D.I.Yourselves maybe?)

Sector eleventy seven secure...................ish
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    70D HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    JRB HSS(complete)
    I'll bring my hammock stand on Sunday

quick edit: I'll also bring a limited edition bottle of James Squires' Scribbly Gum Lager for us to have a tipple of
    Last edited by uneekwahn; 06-03-2011 at 05:30.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    70D HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    JRB HSS(complete)
    Did some work (well, Browny did, I just watched and gesticulated) on the DIY UQ over the weekend. I didn't get any photos unfortunately, suffice to say it's working well! I'll try to get a couple of shots this weekend and post them up

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Always good to have a fried there, looking over your shoulder to grimace and gesticulate wildly when you're messing up!

You know the rules: Pics or it didn't happen! Glad to hear the UQ is coming together!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts