Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammock (Hexon 1.0)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Huggers

Using multi use quilt as peapod?

After reading dejoha's post about wearable quilts I got interested real quick. I love things that are multi purpose. I am looking at ones from JRB and they look pretty nice.

Also the peapod looks like an interesting concept. Having just one quilt that surrounds you, but you don't compress the down underneath you. The thing is, I don't know how comfortable it would be. Seems like your movement would be constricted. How many of you use this method and what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hall View Post
    After reading dejoha's post about wearable quilts I got interested real quick. I love things that are multi purpose. I am looking at ones from JRB and they look pretty nice.

Also the peapod looks like an interesting concept. Having just one quilt that surrounds you, but you don't compress the down underneath you. The thing is, I don't know how comfortable it would be. Seems like your movement would be constricted. How many of you use this method and what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steven
    It is 72" wide. How wide is the ENO single nest? Never mind, looked it up: 55".

So, it should surround your hammock with 17" to spare. Sense the sides of the hammock tend to lift the top layer of the pod, that spare 17" will probably determine how much it is lifted vs how much it will droop down onto you, which effects top warmth.

But you should have no restriction for normal hammock positions. I am 6'1" and 215 lbs, and I have never noticed any limitation whatsoever for laying diagonal or my normal side positions, at least in a Speer hammock or a Claytor No Net. Though there are probably some folks who have had restrictions, so YMMV etc.

But please notice I said "normal" diagonal, side or fetal, and specifically in a Speer hammock ( width 60") and Claytor No Net (width 48"). However, there are some "extreme fetal" positions I like in a HH Explorer or Speer which are a problem with the Pea Pod. I have my knees almost into the HH side pull outs and my head on the opposite side of the hammock, which is as comfortable a position as I have found in any hammock, if not more so. This is past diagonal, and closer to 90 degrees or fully sideways. It tends to pop the pod's Velcro open or compress the down in some spots. Not impossible to deal with, but def tricky. But to be fair, these positions cause slight problems with my UQs. A Polar Pod would probably handle these positions with ease.

• + New Posts