Decided to finish section hiking the Superior Hiking Trail over the long weekend with a couple of friends.
We hit the trail bout noon on Saturday at Crosby-Manitou State park just as the rain had finished falling for the morning. beautiful early afternoon until about 330-4pm when then rain came back with a vengeance and hung around on and off until sometime overnight. camp for the fist night was South Egge lake. Sunday was thankfully lacking water from overhead though there was plenty of it on the trail to slog through, the high was low 70's so at lunch pulled equipment out to dry. made camp for the night at West Kennedy Creek, 14.5 mi or so and we where beat so it was pitch camp and pass out. The rain started again sometime overnight and by morning it was 45*, wind and cold rain. Thankfully it was only 2.2 mi back to the car, had a real hard time convincing myself to go out into the rain again. I ended up leaving camp about an hour later than the couple I was with and made it back to the car 20 min after they did. From there it was into Two Harbors and a hotel room for the night. They had to be back to work on Wednesday but I decided to dry out my gear and go back out for an over niter. The forecast for Tuesday was mostly dry but windy 20-30mph, gusts of 40+, this gave me a slight pause but ended up going for it. The Superior Hiking Trail Association has recently opened up new sections of the trail south of Two Harbors so I got my rear end dropped off on Cr-131 just north of Lake County Demonstration Forest and headed north. Mid 60's and no rain. Put in 9.4mi and made camp about 530p. You know there is something relaxing about the wind gently swaying a hammock.......not so much when the wind is bouncing your hammock with you in it!!! Very windy and was more than slightly concerned making camp but what was I to do.... Crossed the fingers and hope like h*ll the trees I hung from stayed in one piece......They did though I did have at least one tree come down within sight of camp. The following morning hiked back to my truck at Cr-301 and headed for home. All in all a very much needed break from work.

I did have a few issues getting my tarp hung over the hammock but that will be a different thread...........