Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird

First hammock: looking for hammock plus bug net.

Hello. I've been reading around for a while and decided to join because I hope leave the ground soon... I have $200 to spend tops, and of course am considering the Blackbird. However, this will leave me with little left for a tarp. I hike mostly in northern michigan during the summer, when mosquitos and flies are bad, so a net is a must. I'd like to use the hammock as much as possible, what temp would it still be comfortable down to with just a30 degree sleeping bag? I an an experienced backpacker, but I don't know how sleeping bag ratings translate in a hammock.

What I'm looking for is advice on should I spring for the BB and try to find/make a tarp for $30 and just use it in the summer (no quilts). On the other hand is there a decent hammock out there with a bug net that would leave me with some money for a tarp and perhaps a quilt so I can extend its use into the spring and fall? Will I regret not getting the BB?

Also, I have plenty of decent sleeping mats, does the double layer BB with a mat really keep you warm or is it better to just get the single layer?

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    What I'm looking for is advice on should I spring for the BB and try to find/make a tarp for $30 and just use it in the summer (no quilts).
    I don't have a WBBB, but it seems to be all the rage. The good reports from everyone here are making me want one too. I'm thinking you can't go wrong with one of those. Might as well start off with a great design!

If that leaves you with minimal reserves for a tarp, it's a simple enough deal to make one on your own. As long as you have access to a sewing machine, you can build a fine tarp within the $30-ish range. Just be prepared to spend some time doing it.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and invest in the BB and get it strung up so you can play with it and decide what size/shape tarp you think would be best. Might even take an el-cheapo disposable tarp and hang it up for visualization purposes, trim it with some scissors to the size/shape that appeals to you, and then base your DIY tarp off of that.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmcgo View Post
    H I'd like to use the hammock as much as possible, what temp would it still be comfortable down to with just a 30 degree sleeping bag? I an an experienced backpacker, but I don't know how sleeping bag ratings translate in a hammock.

Also, I have plenty of decent sleeping mats, does the double layer BB with a mat really keep you warm or is it better to just get the single layer?
    Any sleeping bag in a hammock is more-or-less good to its rated temperature. However, because the insulation is compressed underneath you, it will offer little if any protection from "CBS" (Cold Butt Syndrome). A well-made underquilt is the most satisfactory solution, though not a cheap one, for avoiding CBS.

Sleeping pads are often used satisfactorily to avoid CBS. My experience is that a pad in-between the bottom layers of a double layer hammock will keep its position better than one floating "inside" the hammock body. Almost any traditional pad will work, though most will leave you with cold shoulders where your shoulder is off the pad and touching the hammock fabric. One solution is to use something like the SPE (Speer Pad Extender) to gain additional width in the shoulder area. Another possibility is to use a piece of pad arranged "cross-wise" to provide shoulder coverage between you and the outside air. Finding what works for you is part of the adventure!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    If you are looking for something inexpensive, the Eno is pretty popular as are various models from Hennessy Hammocks. The Hennessy Expedition with 72" tree straps and a hex tarp will run you about $175.
    It seems that people who start with the lesser priced options upgrade to something else down the road. I'm one of those people. I have a Hennessy hammock, which I really like, but I just ordered a Blackbird and new tarp. It was a tough decision but if so many people like the Blackbird it must be good.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    I'm still happy with my Skeeter Beeter Pro. Picked it up cheap here in the For Sale section. Bought a cheap tarp as well. After struggling with pads and sleeping bags I did spend some $$ on a KAQ under quilt (best $ ever)

With hammock, straps, UQ, tarp, misc, etc I have probably right around $200 invested.

I've been camping in middle of summer here in NC (mid 90's) down to the 30's in the late fall, so far so good.

At some point I'll make it to the NC Hot Springs hang again and hopefully try out some of these 'fancier' hammocks and buy something else

Jim

(Lower Mainland) British Columbia, Canada
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBPro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
    I'm still happy with my Skeeter Beeter Pro.

Jim
    Couldn't agree more! I love my SBPro and even at full retail price, it's an excellent hammock with integrated bug netting.
    Check out the Kelty Noah's tarps for a great priced tarp too!
    www.youtube.com/user/BCkayakcamper

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." ~Author Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 30 Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock Blackbird
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm learning a lot.

That skeeter beeter pro looks like a great hammock for the price! My only concern is about a third of the reviews on amazon say it fell apart, has there been any reports like that here?

Also, looking at those Noah tarps, is the 9 big enough for a hammock?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBPro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    A few years ago the construction and workmanship of the skeeter beeter pro was pretty poor apparently, but I believe Grand Trunk have changed suppliers and since that time have had far less problems.
    Everyone I have talked to that have purchased Skeeter Beeter Pro hammocks after 2009 have not had any problems whatsoever. But I own one - and I absolutely love it!
    As far as the tarp - lots of people will tell you on here (as they told me) that the Kelty 9 will do, but I bought the 12 just to be on the safe side, and again, not at all disappointed in that purchase either.
    I have a video of my hammock and tarp on my YouTube channel (click link below)
    Good luck on deciding - whichever way you go, it's the right way if your going to be hanging in a hammock!

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." ~Author Unknown

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    You could try the Grand Trunk all in one system. I believe it's called the Air Bivy Extreme and it costs about $150. It includes tarp, hammock, bug net, and some crappy stock suspension. That leaves you $50 for whoopies, ring buckles, or some other suspension.
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBPro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo2112 View Post
    You could try the Grand Trunk all in one system. I believe it's called the Air Bivy Extreme and it costs about $150. It includes tarp, hammock, bug net, and some crappy stock suspension. That leaves you $50 for whoopies, ring buckles, or some other suspension.
    The "Air Bivy Extreme" includes just the regular Skeeter Beeter that has a weight capacity of 250 lbs and is a bit shorter and narrower than the Pro version.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast