WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB 11'x10' Spinn
    Insulation
    HSSniv MtWash3
    Suspension
    webbing Dutch clip

Scout trip to Cranberry Wilderness, WV

Boy Scouts in my troop are planning a six day, 50-60 mile backpacking trip to Cranberry Wilderness, Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia. They are looking over some maps but I'd like to give them enough resources to make informed decisions.

I'm looking for recommendations on:

guidebooks
    trails

I have a trails.com subscription but find it difficult to get an overview of a given area. If I already know which trail I want, it's great.

The troop is going to summer camp at Goshen. After camp, seven Scouts will go directly to the Cranberry Wilderness while the rest return to Silver Spring, MD. I need to find a laundromat near Goshen, VA, to wash away a week's worth of grime between summer camp and backpacking.

The schedule is:

2-9 July Goshen Scout Reservation, Goshen, VA summer camp
    8 July wash clothes, configure backpacks for the trail
    9-14 July Cranberry Wilderness backpacking

Thoughts? I know WV is fond of the area.
    ..Mike the Weed Warrior bio // Think globally, act locally: Remove an invasive plant

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Indeed I am. I slept next to the Cranberry River last night and caught my first trout with Tenkara fly rod from AHE this morning.

The Monongahela National Forest Trail Guide has the best descriptions of trails. The pdf maps on the CD version are easier to read than those in the printed version. Info from: http://www.wvhighlands.org/.

In six days you can cover a lot of territory. The Cranberry Backcountry is adjacent to the wilderness, and the Tea Creek area is very close. Do you plan a loop? If you'd rather go point A to point B, I can help with a shuttle. The Cranberry Visitor Center is worth a visit, too.
    Last edited by WV; 06-04-2011 at 19:17.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB 11'x10' Spinn
    Insulation
    HSSniv MtWash3
    Suspension
    webbing Dutch clip
    Hey WV,

Thanks for the tip on the PDF maps on the CD, I was looking for tips like that, and thanks for the offer on a shuttle. We usually hike a loop for logistics but I'll keep in mind the shuttle offer.

I'll take a look at the Cranberry Backcountry, Tea Creek area, and Cranberry Visitor Center.

Thanks for the ideas.

Have any "must see" trails or venues?
    ..Mike the Weed Warrior bio // Think globally, act locally: Remove an invasive plant

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaMike View Post
    Have any "must see" trails or venues?
    After the visitor center, drive to the Cranberry Bogs boardwalk (very close). Another spot to drive to (15 minutes?) is the Falls of Hills Creek.

Then for hiking trails, Big Beechy is nice and would make the start of a number of loops. Another trail I like is Big Rough Run. Also the Middle Fork Trail (returns you to your starting point at the Big Beechy trailhead, but so do the North-South Trail and the North Fork Trail). There are lots of possibilities.

The Monongahela National Forest Hiking Guide is an invaluable resource. The Cranberry Wilderness maps are online here. You could also check the MidAtlantic Hikes website.

I like the Middle Fork trail and it's connecters like Laurelly Branch. Tumbling Rock Tr. from the North South Trail is also nice.

has there been any cleanup of the trails? I was up there about a month ago and there were a large number of blowdowns.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Homemade Nylon
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    has there been any cleanup of the trails? I was up there about a month ago and there were a large number of blowdowns.
    In order to earn the 50 miler award the scouts need to do 10 hours of group service to improve trails, campsites or portage routes. If after checking with authorities and they cannot do that then a project may be done in their home area. Perhaps they could pack some bows saws and an axe or two and clear some trails. 4 of my scouts did theirs last year in the Bob Marshall ( Montana) and had to do this just to get through on the trails.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdeal View Post
    The Monongahela National Forest Hiking Guide is an invaluable resource. The Cranberry Wilderness maps are online here. You could also check the MidAtlantic Hikes website.

I like the Middle Fork trail and it's connecters like Laurelly Branch. Tumbling Rock Tr. from the North South Trail is also nice.
    +1 on Laurelly Branch, a lovely trail. I sometimes take off from one of the switchbacks to cut over to Hell-for-Certain Branch, just because I like the name. There's an overgrown logging road, but no recognized trail, so it's "easy bushwhacking" (if there is such). I joke with my wife that when I fail to return from a backpacking trip someday, she'll know I'm in Hell-for-Certain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    "I joke with my wife that when I fail to return from a backpacking trip someday, she'll know I'm in Hell-for-Certain. --WV"

That's pretty funny WV. Sounds like a great trip for the kids to do. Let us know how the trip went.

Cranberry is a bit of a drive for me. I'm in the northern part of WV so I really concentrate on areas north of Rt 92 over the top of Cheat Mt. Nevertheless I've done several trips to Cranberry and one to Tea Creek over the years. Very nice places and more secluded than many.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast