Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

Frame pack ideas

OK guys - You being one of the most creative bunch of people I've ever met, at least when it comes to great solutions to gear problems...

I need some help brainstorming some ideas. I decided this weekend that the only real solution I'm going to find to the pack delimma caused by my shoulder problems is an external frame.

I'd love to have a LuxuryLite pack, but it's just too far out of my price range. MedicineMan, feel free to chime in here I'd love to see some action pics and/or descriptions of your LL and its cylinders.

Anyway, I've got this old frame pack that I've had for YEARS. That's what I took this weekend on the Uwharrie trip with Slowhike, and I had no shoulder problems at all. Even though both the hip belt and shoulder straps on the thing are so ancient that the padding is all forms of stiff.

I've removed the pack itself from the frame - this is easy to do and isn't permanent, so I can put it back together if I need to - and I'd like to find a lighter way to make a workable pack based on the frame alone.

I'm already in the process of making new shoulder straps and hip belt; that isn't the problem. I'm trying to get some ideas on a lightweight way to attach my gear to the frame. The only restriction I have at this point is that I don't want to modify the frame itself, in case I need to use the pack as is. I may try to find an aluminum welder around here at some point later and modify/lighten the frame, but with the Mt. Rogers trip coming up so soon I don't want to get stuck without a working pack

Any ideas? I've been thinking in two directions - either a gearskin type taco attached to the frame in a couple of spots, or maybe a series of stuff sacks like the LL. I just haven't been able to conceptualize a good way to accomplish either of these.

Any thoughts? Other design schemes would definitely be welcome, too...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make cylinders like the LL. Attach them to the pack with velcro. Or make them roll-top closure and just use the closure clip to attach them to the pack.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    When you say cylinders, do you mean just stuff sacks, or something different? From the pics on the LL website, it kinda looks like his cylinders are kinda stiff somehow....not sure how I'd accomplish that. What type/weight material do you think would work best?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I tried the LL pack, just didn't work for me. The weight pushed all on my lower back just wrong.

The cylinderes are just stuff sacks that have a cylinderical shape. Their shape full is made by the gear you put in it. Think an empty bag here. He recommends that you use either a cc pad or your gear to have the cylinders keep their shape. He also recommends that you use a large plastic jar as your food container. You can hang the cylinders as a food bag if needed.

How about something that uses a little of the LL and the gear skin. How about a mesh or sil bag that has compression straps around like the gear skin. You can add stuff sacks inside this to hold your gear.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Another thought you may be able to find a used frame on ebay or somewhere online. Maybe contact some outfitters and see if they have any returns.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    That's definitely an idea, HE. As far as Jeff's suggestion, that could work too - I don't know that I'd trust velcro to hold a cylinder by itself, but maybe I could add a couple of vertical straps (the whole height of the pack) for support.

HE, when you say 'used frame', do you mean a LL frame?

Images
    Maybe that or just any used frame. There maybe lighter options than the one you have. Contact Bruce at LL. He may be able to quote you a price on an old or used frame.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Yeah I think I'll do that. Thanks for the input, man!

Images
    Any ideas? I've been thinking in two directions - either a gearskin type taco attached to the frame in a couple of spots
    Any thoughts? Other design schemes would definitely be welcome, too...[/QUOTE]

Take a look in "Brian's Folder" at the MAKE GEAR group. I made a Gearskin knockoff to fit a packframe. It worked pretty well but now after my back surgery I can't stand anything tight around my lumbar area. The waistbelt presses against the screws and rods in my back. I'm still toying with the skin idea. I'm in the process of making a GearSkin/SPE combo, you know, muti-use and all that stuff. :^)

Brian
    T-BACK

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Man - that looks awesome! You've inspired me!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast