Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UQ Learning Curve

So I tried out my Crowsnest 3/4 UQ for the first time last night with my hammock stand.
    Set up is a HH Explorer with 2QZQ Mod, and I threw together the setup fairly late so didn't get a chance to fine tune.

Ended up going in at 4am due to the cold. Coughlan thermometer gave a low of 3 deg C.

Took a second look in the morning, and looks like I didn't cinch up the end bungies, so I was getting blow through. However, even after cinching those up, I could still feel some cold spots. Reaching outside, I can tell there's a gap between the hammock and the UQ. The UQ should be snug against the hammock correct? I thought about attaching the side tieout on the UQ to those on the HH, however, they don't line up.

Suggestions?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    just pull both ends tighter so it almost "picks up" your hammock, so when you lay in it you pull it snugly against you.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I'm not a fan of the suspension that passes through the side channels. I really prefer the JRB method because it pulls it tight. Others love the phoenix's suspension so take it with a grain of salt. I also sew loops on the hem and attach the corners of the quilt so it is being pulled both ways.

Keep playing with it, the Phoenix is the best fitting UQ IMO.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I'm not a fan of the suspension that passes through the side channels. I really prefer the JRB method because it pulls it tight. Others love the phoenix's suspension so take it with a grain of salt. I also sew loops on the hem and attach the corners of the quilt so it is being pulled both ways.

Keep playing with it, the Phoenix is the best fitting UQ IMO.
    +1 on that good buddy
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    I've had really good luck with my winter incubator on my black bird, but you do have to have that shock cord tight... being too cautious gets you cold. Ditto on the JRB suspension being a good option as well. I love how my Mount Washington 3 doesn't slide around at all.

Dan.

When you talk about keeping the shock cord tight, are you referring to the channel shock cord running from end to end?

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
    When you talk about keeping the shock cord tight, are you referring to the channel shock cord running from end to end?
    Yep, the big loop that runs through the length of the UQ. Add a cord-lock to one end to cinch the loop even tighter; this gives you some adjustability. Some people just tie a new knot further down too. Pick your poison. Snugs everything up though.

Images
    Ditto on tighter is better within reason(of course, you don't want to tear something). I also shoot for the UQ to raise the center of the hammock before entering. Even as much as 2 or 3 feet! For some reason my WB torso UQ does not have to be very loose before I start noticing the dif, even if there seems to be no gaps on the end.

Another thing that has helped me with numerous UQs ( including IX) is to rig something up so that the UQ suspension cords are more vertical than more horizontal ( right terms?).

IOW, a suspension cord that leaves the UQ and heads at a relatively steeper angle up towards the RL (if there is one)- rather than more straight towards the end knots ( hope I'm making sense?) always seems to work better for me. This applies to both ends. Seems like it to me anyway.

I guess this is what those Triangle thingies accomplish?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    The 'more vertical than horizontal' was the reason behind the invention and deployment of the Triangle Things Paul sells. They are marketed toward the heavier winter UQs but work just as well on 3 season UQs.
    I think most are saying be more aggressive in the tightness of the UQ's rigging....remember that most all mid to high end UQs are now differentially cut and in the case of Te-wa and Warbonnet and probably JRB and Stormcrows stuff differentially cut in more than one bias..so when you do get the cinch right (tight) there is little to zero chance of even creating a cold spot with a misplaced knee or elbow.
    Go ahead and give Paul some money for the triangle thingies...I've semi-permanently attached them to my Te-wa Winter Coat.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
    So I tried out my Crowsnest 3/4 UQ for the first time last night with my hammock stand.
    Set up is a HH Explorer with 2QZQ Mod, and I threw together the setup fairly late so didn't get a chance to fine tune.

Ended up going in at 4am due to the cold. Coughlan thermometer gave a low of 3 deg C.

Took a second look in the morning, and looks like I didn't cinch up the end bungies, so I was getting blow through. However, even after cinching those up, I could still feel some cold spots. Reaching outside, I can tell there's a gap between the hammock and the UQ. The UQ should be snug against the hammock correct? I thought about attaching the side tieout on the UQ to those on the HH, however, they don't line up.

Suggestions?

Chingyul,

Looks like some of the other guys beat me to the answer. It sounds like it is definitely a loose main suspension. When we make the underquilts, we use a suspension line that will be long enough for some of the larger commercial models and DIY hammocks out there. For many hammocks out there (including the blackbird sometimes) the 14ft shock cord is too long. You can shorten it up by adding another knot around 6 inches behind the knot we use to connect the main suspension together.

On another note. If you DO prefer to suspend the quilt differently, all Hammock Gear quilts have loops in the corners that can be used for that purpose.

Hope this helps a little. Give me a call or pm if you still have trouble making it work. We can't have any more 4am bailouts!

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast