WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    One thing that has me weary, though, is what to do with my pack. Where do you folks put your pack?
    I hang my pack off my suspension at the end of my hammock. Haven't camped in a busy campground with my hammock but I imagine if anyone tried messing with it I'd feel it in the hammock moreso than if it was under me or hanging from a nearby tree.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    +1 on that. Sometimes if the ground is a little soggy I but my pack on a piece of plastic I carry with me too.

Fronkey
    +2 for me, except I carry a piece of Tyvek (about 3x3 feet) to put things on. Slugs love it!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    I've always used a pack leash, although it never occurred to me that it had a name. Mine is a piece of webbing with side release buckle, with the carabiner attached to the webbing. At night I use my parcho to cover the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I try to get my pack off the ground if I can. Frequently used campsites often have a squadron of mice and chipmunks waiting to attack. Sometimes I use a leash, too (with a large black dog on the end of it - he is aware of the mice/chipmunk menace).
    When I started reading that last line, I had this image of you chasing down and leashing all those chipmunks.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I have strapped my to one of the trees that the hammock is suspended on. No problems yet.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I try to get my pack off the ground if I can. Frequently used campsites often have a squadron of mice and chipmunks waiting to attack. Sometimes I use a leash, too (with a large black dog on the end of it - he is aware of the mice/chipmunk menace).
    +1 too that! I bring 2 dogs and i have never had a problem with animals....even the 2 leg variety.

I had my pack with most of my gear stolen when I was in a small bivy. The story is somewhere here, I think in the Clark Hammock area. It is rare, as most of the backpacking crowd is top notch. I've had a hard time trusting after that. I tend to run one of the suspension lines through the grab handle of my pack, and then clip the two sides of the belt to the sides of my Hammock (I've added a couple of nylon tabs to hook small Biners through). This isn't a lock by any means, but if somebody wants to steal it, it'll most likely wake me up at least. And, if I'm out and about exploring, it isn't just sitting there to walk off. They've got to actively get it off, and that's a minor deterrent at least.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    IF I'm concerned about it & not in the hammock, the pack goes inside my hammock, sort of a "Out of sight out of mind" strategy.
    When sleeping & no rain forecast (& I'm stealth camping) Pack leash as mentioned above. IF It's going to rain, or I'm just paranoid I hang it from the head end of my hammock suspension. In fact, I often do this anyway as it allows me to easily access the stuff in my pack.
    When I camp, the only thing on the ground is my boots & tarp stakes. I won't lay on the ground, why should I make my stuff go there?
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

if I can find a branch to hang it on I do that.... otherwise I clip it to my whoopie sling close to the tree, or even the tree huggers.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    if its hot then its one of the things that i clip to my ridgeline and hang from the foot end, so its touching just the part of the hammock that meets the suspension then hangs over the back and out of the way. then my boots can hang in there too. if its getting cold, then i'll pull it in the hammock to put under my legs/feet. if it goes under my legs, then anything lumpy gets thrown in a stuff sack that hangs in the same way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12