Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Something else to think about is looking into buying either a Speer winter tarp or the JRB cat tarp. The ability to enclose the ends for extra weather protection would be a big advantage.
    The issue is I have the Ultralite Explorer hammock which is a bit longer than the others. The JRB tarp is not recommended for Explorer models, and the Speer tarp seems to have the same dimensions as the JRB.

The only option seems to be the Hennessey 12'x11' rainfly, which is $130. The supershelter for the Explorer is $140. So do I get the SS, or buy a new tarp + quilts + weathershield. The inve$tment just starts getting $cary.

Decisions, decisions...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Another, simpler solution is to go with a BA bag with the pad sleeve and forget about the UQ, bigger tarp, etc. I think Rasputen uses this type setup with the stock tarp.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    The issue is I have the Ultralite Explorer hammock which is a bit longer than the others. The JRB tarp is not recommended for Explorer models, and the Speer tarp seems to have the same dimensions as the JRB.

The only option seems to be the Hennessey 12'x11' rainfly, which is $130. The supershelter for the Explorer is $140. So do I get the SS, or buy a new tarp + quilts + weathershield. The inve$tment just starts getting $cary.

Decisions, decisions...
    I also have the UL Explorer and have the large HH sil-nylon Hex. It does quite well, though I may prefer my MacCat deluxe in the wind- but it doesn't have quite as much coverage as the HH Hex.

I have a suggestion from a slightly different angle. A tarp that is closer to a rectangular cut. The reason I say this is, when the tarp is tied to the trees, once you get in the hammock, you might sag down quite a bit. Depending on several variables. And I find that even the larger tarps leave the coverage somewhat less than I had been hoping for onve I am in the hammock, because all of these tarps angle back pretty sharply- IOW the hex cut. Even with the tarp extending out a foot or more past each end near the tarp ridge line, the hex cut will decrease coverage near the sides, ESPECIALLY after the hammock sags. Don't get me wrong, I've managed to stay dry, but if the tarp was not hex cut, you would get a lot more effective coverage for any given size of tarp. I've got to run, but check Speers cat cut tarp- it looks like it might not have as much hex cut going on- but I'm not certain.

The Super Shelter gives you a good bit more protection against wind blown sideways moisture. ( I use that also) Regardless of what tarp you are using.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I think the best you can do in a tarp is:
    http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/why_maccat.htm
    These babies are gorgeous and very reasonably priced.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Decisions, decisions...
    Yep it's not recommended on the Explorer model in the tent mode.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 03-02-2008 at 19:26.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    The Explorer models have a 9 foot ridgeline and the Speer WinterTarp (always) has an 11 foot ridgeline.

The JBR 11x10 tarp can be pitched with either an 11 foot ridgeline or a 10 foot ridgeline when you want to close off the ends. I believe it is the 10 foot ridgeline pitch that isn't recommended for the Explorer with the JBR tarp.

These two tarps are not of the same design, there are some differences.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Decisions, decisions...
    Oh that's not the only option...you don't have to buy silnylon. Claytor sells a rectangular tarp that is 3 meters by 4 meters for $60 and weighs 2 lbs. Or PM preachaswife here at HF about the sil tarps she sews and sells (at a price that is significantly less than commercial.) Ask here HF about tarps for sale, and also over at whiteblaze I should think.

Trust me, you don't want to spend a raining day cooking trying to stay dry under one of the stock HH flys. With some experimentation you can get a pad-based system for insulation to work. I'm certain you can get insulated and stay dry at cost less than a super-shelter.

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Oh that's not the only option...you don't have to buy silnylon. Claytor sells a rectangular tarp that is 3 meters by 4 meters for $60 and weighs 2 lbs. Or PM preachaswife here at HF about the sil tarps she sews and sells (at a price that is significantly less than commercial.) Ask here HF about tarps for sale, and also over at whiteblaze I should think.

Trust me, you don't want to spend a raining day cooking trying to stay dry under one of the stock HH flys. With some experimentation you can get a pad-based system for insulation to work. I'm certain you can get insulated and stay dry at cost less than a super-shelter.

Grizz
    Grizz: So your saying that by using pads in the hammock he can can stay insulated and dry for less cost than the SS? If so, I agree. I wanted to mention pads in my last post, but didn't have time and planned to add that as soon as I got back tonight.

kwpapke,
    If you want to be bombproof against moisture, there is nothing, IMO, that matches an SPE plus either CCF pad or a self-inflater or a down air mattress. If you have a synthetic bag along with a CCF pad, you really won't have much concern about getting wet. It will certainly be more pleasant and MORE warm if everything stays dry, But you will make it even if wet, and once the crisis is over, your pad will dry instantly and your bag will dry quickly. This approach ( at least with CCF pads) also happens to be the cheapest by far, and probably the lightest. And you are also already all set should you have to go to ground for some unforeseen reason.

But, quite a few people can not stand pads in a hammock for various reasons. I have no clue if that applies to you. It is alao, at least with CCF, the bulkiest.

I think the next cheapest approach is either the Super Shelter ( or a Kick *** Quilt, AKA Potomac, if you can get one, which you probably can't.) It is a good bit cheaper than the various down options for obvious reasons. Down is wonderful, light, low volume stuff- but you pay for it. ( Though sales, when you can find them, may help with that) Also, in my experience, the Sil-nylon undercover blocks a good bit of wind and a good bit of moisture. You may or may not need this additional wind driven, sideways rain/snow protection. Depending on how large your tarp is. I think you will always benfit from the additional wind resistance it supplies, unless maybe you have something like a closed up Speer winter tarp. Once you do get wet: I submerged one of my OCF HH kidney pads ( a small extra pad to go with the regular HH pad). It lost zero loft as far as I could tell. I gently wrung it out, and then placed near a window where winter sun was coming in, at room temp. Within an hour, it was bone dry. A CCF pad would be dry in minutes ( actually, it would not absorb any water to start with), but that's still not bad, IMO. Down would not fair so well if soaked, if you figure you will get wet, like you said.

I think with a Speer Winter Tarp ( 11 feet vs 9 feet for UL Explorer RL), you would have no trouble keeping dry UNLESS water runs down your suspension, in which case no tarp will keep you dry. So you will have to prevent that. Or UNLESS a tree branch falls on your tarp ( I've seen it happen) or unless your tarp just plain springs a leak ( I've seen it happen). And for that matter, I think you can stay dry with a 10 foot ridge line Speer Cat tarp or rectangular tarp. Your RL does not have to be as long if you don't have a significant hex cut, which will give you relatively less coverage once your hammock sags after you get in.

Try this: draw a 9" hammock RL well below ( to account for hammock sag) the 12" ridgeline ( length) of an imaginary tarp with 5" width. Let this tarp have a sharp hex cut, like you see on a HH Hex or MacCat.

Then draw another imaginary Rectangular tarp 10" length RL ( same width as the other tarp) over the 9" hammock RL. With the same amount of hammock sag, which one has the most coverage on the ends?

And like Grizz said, you can save a lot of money buying a coated nylon tarp. It will just cost you some weight, depending on how important that is to you.

BTW, that stock HH tarp will keep your hammock dry if tied to the hammock suspension, so that it sags with the hammock. Which keeps you close to the tarp RL, which is where all the protection is. But it will be loose and suck in the wind, plus you don't have much protection when you are outside the hammock. So you probably don't want to go that route. But some do go that way, successfully.

Happy shopping! And Happy Hanging!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-02-2008 at 22:11.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am planning a through hike of the Border Route through the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota in May, and my experience from prior backpacking outings on the SHT in May is that it will be wet. I will probably be making camp several times in the rain.

I am a hammock newbie, the proud owner of a new HH Explorer Ultralight with the stock tarp. I am debating whether to outfit myself for this trip with an UQ, or go with the Hennessey SS. I believe either will give me adequate comfort and warmth, my main concern is keeping an UQ dry on a weeklong hike.

My feeling is that whatever I use will get wet at some point, either from blowing rain or setting up in the rain, and I would think that the SS would be much easier to dry out and less susceptible to problems with its overcover.

Anyone with any experience with this?

TIA,

-Kurt
    Hey Kwpapke,
    I would go with just a good pad of choice and skip the UQ. Keep your top bag dry and be careful to hang a good pitch on the tarp and all should be well.
    Paddle on.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Went with SS

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, very helpful. Of course I ignored everyone and went with the Hennessy SS, for reasons that may not have been explicit in my prior posts:
    - It is the lowest cost way for me to not sleep directly on a pad
    - The undercover keeps me dry
    - It is easy to dry out if it does get wet
    - It is lighter than my 2lb Large Prolite-4 + new tarps
    - It is minimal bulk/volume in my pack
    - It is (mostly) compatible with Snakeskins (after the pad is removed)
    - I'm not quite ready to invest in both quilts and tarps at the same time

We'll see how it goes. I can see over time how the inve$tment in quilts, tarps, etc. quickly exceeds what one pays for your hammock...

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast