Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    For those interested, free USGS maps of Greystone can be downloaded here. If the location does not appear, just do a search for "Greystone, TN" under USGS map names.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I suggest July 15-17.
    Basecamping at the place Wisenber suggested-2 mile hike in...for me it will be a fishing enterprise on Saturday and maybe Friday evening and Sunday morning....with plenty of time to find wild edibles and lay in a cool pool of water.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I suggest July 15-17.
    Basecamping at the place Wisenber suggested-2 mile hike in...for me it will be a fishing enterprise on Saturday and maybe Friday evening and Sunday morning....with plenty of time to find wild edibles and lay in a cool pool of water.
    So let it be written, so let it be done.

Let's use this as the target place and date. Plenty of time to build up points with the Mrs, or to drive her crazy so she throws me out.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I suggest July 15-17.
    That time of year should make for some blueberries and blackberries.
    If anyone has a mountain bike (or a hybrid would work as well), the forest road from the Horse Creek trailhead to the Old Iron Forge swimming hole is about 8-10 miles of decent road. Those wanting a bit more technical riding could cross Jennings Creek and ride South to the other end of the Poplar Cove trail and make it back to camp via Poplar Cove.

The camp site at Poplar Cove also has a couple of deeper spots as well post ride.

Everyone should enjoy the predictable winds that come through that hollow a few hours after sunset. It will shake your tarps and blow the bugs away just in time for the coyotes and bears to start wandering the neighborhood.
    (Rumors of "extinct" mountain lions abound for the Sarvis Cove area.)

By the way, the Horse Creek Rd. is "somewhat" passable for 4wd vehicles and they are permitted up to the camp site. The trails are obstructed with boulders beyond that point. I've taken my Suburban up there before, but there are three stream crossings and a few spot that will put you on "two wheels".

This is shaping up to look entertaining!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I suggest July 15-17.
    Works for me. Gives me plenty of time to tweak my pack a bit. Maybe even grab a couple more pieces of gear!! WOOO!!!
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    What are the trails there like, terrainwise? I'm just wondering if my normal shoes will suffice, or if I need to have something a bit more rugged.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    What are the trails there like, terrainwise? I'm just wondering if my normal shoes will suffice, or if I need to have something a bit more rugged.
    Trail runners should be fine if that is what you normally wear. There are three stream crossings that are normally beyond rock hopping, so a quick drying shoe would be in order.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Oh, I just remembered. If anyone does geocaching, there are several in that area as well. I have a few that I still need to pick up there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I normally wear running shoes or croc santa cruz loafers, they do well in easy terrain. I have a pair of croc clogs I use for crossing streams

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    I normally wear running shoes or croc santa cruz loafers, they do well in easy terrain. I have a pair of croc clogs I use for crossing streams
    I don't know about Crocs up there. Running shoes would work better if they do not have too much padding. I tried some regular running shoes on Sarvis Cove before and they kept rolling on me. The lower profile, the less likely that is to happen.

As far as the crossings go, I'm too lazy to stop and change shoes that many times when it is warm out. I just take a quick drying trail runner and leave them on until camp. They tend to "hike dry" within a couple of miles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast