Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Might be something I have to look into then. I hate shoe shopping lol
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    Might be something I have to look into then. I hate shoe shopping lol
    Running shoes do well with longitudinal stability, they are just not designed for lateral stability. On an off camber trail one tends to "slide off one's shoes". That is when gravity overcomes the resistance of your foot to topple over a shoe.
    It's not a long hike to the campsite and hardly arduous. Hiking beyond that point on Poplar Cove or Sarvis Cove gets quite a bit more technical and steep.
    The AT is just 3.5 miles from the Horse Creek trailhead and the elevation goes from about 1700' to 4500' in that span. We'll be cutting West about a mile into that stretch which will reduce the climb quite a bit. The only question is whether you plan on hanging around base camp or running off on a dayhike to one of the other trails.

If Shug were to be at base camp for a couple of days, I could see just staying there. However, with me at base camp, I've found most people would rather hike somewhere else.
    Maybe I could work on juggling as I know no one wants to hear me sing??

Images
    With basecamp being a short hike, I'll pack water sandles and let them dry there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Running shoes do well with longitudinal stability, they are just not designed for lateral stability. On an off camber trail one tends to "slide off one's shoes". That is when gravity overcomes the resistance of your foot to topple over a shoe.
    It's not a long hike to the campsite and hardly arduous. Hiking beyond that point on Poplar Cove or Sarvis Cove gets quite a bit more technical and steep.
    The AT is just 3.5 miles from the Horse Creek trailhead and the elevation goes from about 1700' to 4500' in that span. We'll be cutting West about a mile into that stretch which will reduce the climb quite a bit. The only question is whether you plan on hanging around base camp or running off on a dayhike to one of the other trails.

If Shug were to be at base camp for a couple of days, I could see just staying there. However, with me at base camp, I've found most people would rather hike somewhere else.
    Maybe I could work on juggling as I know no one wants to hear me sing??
    I'll be that close to the AT? I'd love to hike even just a little of it. I knew I would eventually have to upgrade my shoes, just didnt know when. I will have to look into a decent deal on some shoes then.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I'll be that close to the AT? I'd love to hike even just a little of it. I knew I would eventually have to upgrade my shoes, just didnt know when. I will have to look into a decent deal on some shoes then.
    If you're heavier (over 200 lbs like me), Keen Voyager shoes have excellent stability and dry out quickly. I took a brand new pair to Slickrock and did three days without the first hint of a blister and they kept my feet stable as a boot.

If you go to Riversports over on Sutherland and tell them your with "the meetup group", they'll knock 10% off and non-sale item.

Then again, if you've hiked near Tellico Plains with what you currently have, it should work.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    The Keens arent priced bad. I have an ER bill to pay first, but I will go check them out afterwards. Hows the fit opposed to New Balance or Nike shoes? My feet are sized weird. lol

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    The Keens arent priced bad. I have an ER bill to pay first, but I will go check them out afterwards. Hows the fit opposed to New Balance or Nike shoes? My feet are sized weird. lol
    Keens have a lower center of gravity than NB or Nike running shoes (with the exception of their Minimus and Zero series). The Keens still have cushioning but not the big thick marshmallow stuff that one normally finds on running shoes. The lower center of gravity provides greater rolling resistance.

Definitely try them and don't take my word for it. Elliot's over on Western has some good pricing as well.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    July 15-17 agreed on?
    I'm thinking some young stud hammockhanger could carry a keg 2 miles eh?
    Wisenber-the creeks to be de-trouted are in TN? or NC? Must have the proper
    paperwork for the authorities if caught with a rainbow in hand.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    July 15-17 agreed on?
    I'm thinking some young stud hammockhanger could carry a keg 2 miles eh?
    Wisenber-the creeks to be de-trouted are in TN? or NC? Must have the proper
    I was thinking a bottle of rum or something, but what the heck, I'll take one side of a keg. Who wants the other?? LOL

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    July 15-17 agreed on?
    I'm thinking some you stud hammockhanger could carry a keg 2 miles eh?
    Wisenber-this the creeks to be de-trouted are in TN? or NC? Must have the proper
    Were you to work on a keg, the state you would be in would be the state of confusion.

Actually, it is Tennessee. My NC permit is good until July, but I still need to get my ^%$#@ 60 dollar TN permit with stamp for this year. I still cannot get over how an instate TN license if more than an out of state NC license! I'm not so sure how the fishing will be at Horse Creek. If we want to maximize our chances, we may want to make an excursion to Paint Creek at least one day. A trip to the top there also has the views of the French Broad from high up. We might catch some at Horse Creek, I just wouldn't plan on making dinner plans around it.
    I'll also keep an eye on what might be hatching that time of year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast