Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
    I just decided to read through this thread today, since I had some time. I have an Asym, a Hex, and a full winter tarp with doors, and just ordered a custom 12' diamond. To me, there is a time for any of them - some trips require the full doors version and nothing else for me. For fair weather, when i know it's not going to rain, I'm taking a diamond for ease of set up and just some shade. It's a HYOH type of thing -
    Just want to break my hammockforums cherry and say I agree with this. A nice summer night probably calls for something that will semi-deter any large flying insects, but also protect you from morning dew.

For Australia, I've found your typical rectangle tarp works well for every season (unless there's high wind or its pouring). As it doesn't set up in a mirrored fashion (assuming you have the ridge going from corner to corner), it provides a walkway you don't need to squeeze through on either side of the hammock

I've had a night or two out in winter with wind and rain and despite a wet wakeup (I didn't secure my tarp well enough and it accumulated water over night..guess the rest), I slept great.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Did anyone comment on the original poster's person hanging in the hammock? Cute belly button! Lol!!

We have three rain flies to buy/make here before spring. One very soon, the other two for the fair weather campers in the house. I think I'll be acquiring a full tarp with doors first so I can hang with a friend this winter once or twice, then today will go to my wife for privacy and I'll get a regular hex for me for fair weather and maybe make a full with doors for my daughter. I think that privacy thing is a consideration for some and attached doors twice the fiddle factor for sure!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the illustration, Knotty. For me the extra weight and bulk is worth it for the hex.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Here's a link to a pic I took a long time ago. Comparison of diamond versus hex (with catenary cuts) for those who like to see actual products side-by-side.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    ENO Superfly
    Insulation
    ENO Ember 2, Wooki
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Excellent work!

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    OK. To better represent available tarps, here are 10, 11 and 12 foot hex tarps overlaid.

There was something bugging me about this picture, and I couldn't figure out what it was. Then I noticed that the tarps would have to be different widths or pitched at different angles to all end up with their edges at the same place. Here is a similar diagram, except with the tarp widths held the same for the different lengths.

To me, it would seem that a longer tarp would have to be wider or pitched steeper to get equivalent coverage in the middle. Pitching the tarp steeper is easier with a long tarp on a short hammock because you have more clearance. However, if you're using a long tarp with a long hammock, you way want to go wider as well.

Of course, this is all in theory, so anyone with more experience with different size tarps (almost any of you, haha ) feel free to correct me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Images
    Thanks for sketching this out! I've wondered a lot about. I personally like the setup simplicity of diamond, but feel like I need a longer tarp to make up for the coverage. Still on the fence.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Images
    What is your definition of a long hammock? 10 feet?

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyWarnock View Post
    What is your definition of a long hammock? 10 feet?
    I guess my idea of a shorter hammock would be 9-10 ft. and a longer hammock would be 11-12 ft. However, I was mainly intending this as a reference point for comparison.

Say for example you already have a WBBB hammock (10') and a MacCat tarp (10.5' x 7'), then you decide to make a DIY 11.5' hammock. You will probably want a tarp with more width in addition to more length to get "equivalent coverage."

How much tarp you actually need is very much subject to personal opinion. I mainly sketched this out because I almost made a longer tarp without going wider as well, but I'm very glad I went wider too. Just hoping this is helpful to someone else out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    looks about right to me. Everything is fine with the diamond until the wind gets involved. ;-)
    The wind isnt so awesome with a hex tarp either, you're only getting marginally better wind blockage for the weight. A bit better rain coverage with the hex imho. If you're going for an all around tarp, I'd go with a rectangular tarp. You'll have more configurations you can hang it in and it'll give better coverage than either hex or diamond/asym.

That said, I like having a superfly style tarp with doors for inclimate and cold weather and an asym for warm weather when I know I wont have to worry about wind rain or gawkers.

I find an 11' ridgelength is just about perfect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast