DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Knotty,
    Which tarp manufacturer did you use to determine the HEX angles since they all seem to very (OES hex has an extreme cat cut vs TtoT cat cut not so extreme)
    or how did you come up with the angle in your graphic?
    Is there a standard formula?
    Nothing that scientific. Just made a visual estimate.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    What does the diagram assume about pitch? I just set up the GG 12x12 (12' diag) as a diamond, and I was wondering if I would get better protection with a higher tarp rl and steeper drop or a lower set with flatter sides out farther. I did notice that between trees about 15 ft apart, a low tarp rl interfered with my suspension, ie, the tarp itself touched the hammock suspension. Also, I assume that I could run a line between tie outs on the ends to close off the sides some.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    What does the diagram assume about pitch? I just set up the GG 12x12 (12' diag) as a diamond, and I was wondering if I would get better protection with a higher tarp rl and steeper drop or a lower set with flatter sides out farther. I did notice that between trees about 15 ft apart, a low tarp rl interfered with my suspension, ie, the tarp itself touched the hammock suspension. Also, I assume that I could run a line between tie outs on the ends to close off the sides some.
    The diagrams are basic with no attempt to calculate the geometry of projected angles and such, which would change with the pitch. As you noticed, longer tarps force you to raise the tarp higher to avoid interference with the hammock suspension. The result is you don't get as much additional coverage as you think you will. I did my best to show that in the diagrams.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Knotty, I understand, thanks. I'm still wondering about the pitch, if it matters. Also, I guess the ends might need to be pulled tight to enclose the hammock.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Knotty- THANK you!! I am trying to figure out which type of tarp to buy and now i know i am going hex

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    You are very welcome.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios
    The Hex tarps look very nice. I agree that they provide better coverage than the Asym tarp on my HH. I might even pick one up during HH's closeout sale in Oct. When the weather looks good or if cutting weight is a concern, the Asym is the ticket. The Hex would be a nice addition to give me a little bit more coverage when weight is still a concern. I will say though, that after years camping from canoes, kayaks, and backpacks, my favorite tarp EVER is the Kelty Noah's Tarp 12. It does an outstanding job with endless possibilities and nominal extra wieght.
    1) You can hang it as a square with a 12' ridgeline. This configuration lets you set it up lean-to style, guy it out like a hex with storm flaps, or bring the sides down to the ground for full rain coverage.
    2) If you hang it on the diagonal, the ridgeline is almost 17 ', giving you a little bit more than an 8' side flap. This can be modified to a hex also. This is a long stretch to use with most hammocks, but you can shorten it up by using different guy out points. You can also use this set up when covering several hammocks with one tarp.
    3) You can set it up as a horizontal sun/rain cover for full coverage over a campsite.
    4) If you have to go to ground, it can be set up a bazillion different ways. Even without trees you can always use a hiking staff/poles.
    It is always better to have more than enough coverage on hand, than wishing you had more when the weather get crappy.
    YouTube has some good video's on the Kelty Noah's Tarp.
    I think I will post some pictures of the different configurations and dimensions when the weather improves.
    Tom C.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Good points ntfd60. More and more I'm seeing the appeal of rectangular tarps, for many of the reasons you've listed.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    I'm new here and I asked a question very closely to this in the Grand Trunk section of this forum. This diagram is very helpful. It seems to me it takes some practice to get the hammock and tarp to match each other to get full protection. I want to get the diamond shape for the weight, but I feel hex give me the most protection. It looks like the diamond and the hammock must be rigged in sync while with the hex it can be whatever. haha.

Thanks for the diagram! It going be helpful for me in making a decision on which tarp to get for my new hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by kwchannell89 View Post
    I'm new here and I asked a question very closely to this in the Grand Trunk section of this forum. This diagram is very helpful. It seems to me it takes some practice to get the hammock and tarp to match each other to get full protection. I want to get the diamond shape for the weight, but I feel hex give me the most protection. It looks like the diamond and the hammock must be rigged in sync while with the hex it can be whatever. haha.

Thanks for the diagram! It going be helpful for me in making a decision on which tarp to get for my new hammock.
    Yes everything takes practice, but with practice you become more competent/efficient in your abilities (hammocking and outdoor activities def included). Like riding a bike.....

With a Hex (all tarps really) if you were to hang the tarp too high you could get hit with sideways rain, which is generally the issue with diamonds. A way to combat this (with a diamond) is to have it custom made (or DIY) with longer sides, which would effectively widen the sidewall area of the tarp where the hammock is located, there-by providing more coverage where it's needed.

This is apparent in the Gargoyle Tarp, with his design he took the best attributes of both the Hex and Diamond and combined them, now if one were to use this type of design and use....say.....Cuben it would be a light weight package with plenty of coverage. Just a thought.

IMHO all tarps must be hung properly to reduce the chance of getting wet.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast