Quote Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
I just decided to read through this thread today, since I had some time. I have an Asym, a Hex, and a full winter tarp with doors, and just ordered a custom 12' diamond. To me, there is a time for any of them - some trips require the full doors version and nothing else for me. For fair weather, when i know it's not going to rain, I'm taking a diamond for ease of set up and just some shade. It's a HYOH type of thing -
Just want to break my hammockforums cherry and say I agree with this. A nice summer night probably calls for something that will semi-deter any large flying insects, but also protect you from morning dew.

For Australia, I've found your typical rectangle tarp works well for every season (unless there's high wind or its pouring). As it doesn't set up in a mirrored fashion (assuming you have the ridge going from corner to corner), it provides a walkway you don't need to squeeze through on either side of the hammock

I've had a night or two out in winter with wind and rain and despite a wet wakeup (I didn't secure my tarp well enough and it accumulated water over night..guess the rest), I slept great.