Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    I use dynaglide. As mentioned before, it is nice to be able to splice it, but the main benefit to me is having a long piece of 1000 lb cord if you ever need it. You never know when it may come in handy in an emergency.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I apologize for my extreme tardyness to this thread. I have heard nothing new about the dyneema fishing line.

Even though its been reported that dyna glide weighs much more than its advertised at, I still use it for my maccat standard tarp. I just received my HG cuben tarp and will be putting some of the 1.2mm braided dyneema (I believe) line on it from Scott at mydiygearsupply.com. It says its only .9oz per 100'. I've handled it and like it a lot. Splicing seems very difficult and close to impossible though. Its the lightest line I've found short of mason line which just tangles too much.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    If only that tech line came in orange for the guy lines. I do have some Orange Hi-Viz Dacron Line from Dive Gear Express (scroll down) I just found out was splice-able laying around for diving projects. Tested to
    several hundred pounds of breaking strength
    but it does not list weight. I'll do some testes and let you all know what I find. The orange is a bit more subdued than the Zpacks yellow. Not sure the stretch yet.
    Last edited by FireInMyBones; 12-25-2011 at 07:52.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ekaphoto View Post
    Have you tried fishing line?
    That'll probably stretch if using monofilament, and creating or removing knots would be a pain especially if it is cold.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by exup View Post
    This might help. Tendertoe posted it awhile back and I saved it.

Kelty Triptease - 1 oz/50ft = 2 oz/100ft
    Speer No Tangle - 1.8 oz/100ft
    Zing-It/Lash-It - .12lb/100ft = 1.92oz/100ft
    Dynaglide - .1 lb/100ft = 1.6 oz/100ft
    Zpacks 1.25 - .55oz/50ft = 1.1oz/100ft

There is plenty more but that's just a few that most use. I use dynaglide. Its by far the strongest, 1000lb rating. Its not much more expensive. Its easy to splice. I hang off of it in the form of whoopies. Zpacks is lighter but only by .5oz, but can't be spliced and I believe is only rated at 100lbs. Plenty sufficient but the strength and spliceability of the dyna glide makes plenty worth it in my book. Plus its simple to only have to order one type of line that is light enough the use on everything.
    I like kelty triptease just for the reflectivity. still a dyneema core, 188lb strength.

i dont know, i mean if your using about 20ft of any of those lines, its about .18oz (5 grams) between kelty triptease (the heaviest) and zpacks (the lightest). at 40 ft thats 10 grams difference, .36oz. i know some people are into counting grams and i can be at times too, but i feel the reflectivity and lack of headaches is worth it; theres probably better ways to save .5oz or even more in my opinion. although price could be another factor that hasnt really been discussed

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    Stein dyneema arborist throwline is readily available over here in the UK, as is dynaglide and zing-it.

I'm using Stein 2.2mm for my ridge and tie outs after swapping from sheathed dyneema on one and Amsteel on another. It comes in different sizes and colours on a 45m spool. One spool of throwline will do your whole tarp, inc tie-outs.
    I got 1.8mm 'cause I'm a gram weenie

http://www.abbeypro.co.uk/climbing-h...-1R5014-Y.aspx

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Pdizzle, if you get by using only 20' of corsage for your tarp, I'm very impressed, and jelous, haha. I'd say the average person uses 30' for a full length ridgeline or 20' if not full length and 6' per tie out seems to be the standard and many use more. Right there that's 44'. Now if you're using a tarp with door and pannel pull outs, it could easily be tough to stay under 100' of cordage. Then with silnylon off course tarp tensioners are a huge help. Before you know it, on something like a superfly, you've got potentially 6+oz in tie outs alone. That's about the weight of my HG 4 season cuben tarp.

That's why there are gram weenies like me just doesn't seem rational to have as much or more in cordage weight than my tarp, or cook kit, or backpack weigh.

I think for my HG 4 season cuben tarp ill go with 3' per door, 3' for one tarp side, 6' for other tarp side (for porch mode), 8'-10' per ridge line pull out and 8' per pannel pull with 4'-5' of shock cord. That's 66' plus the shock cord and that's going pretty minimal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123