All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    i understood what you meant I was just saying that I got great results with the SMALLER pad form the supershelter so you will do fine with the bubblepad
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My son and I spent a weekend in the Hoosier and it got down to 44 and I was fine in my Deep Jungle with the radiant pad. Used a 1.5 inch thermarest pad and radiant pad down to 26 but was ok but not toasty. Marmot 15-20 deg bag as well.
    Bluejeans

Bluejeans - thanks for the input. Sounds like I should be OK then. The nights at 44, what temp rating sleeping bag were you in - the 15-20 degree Marmot? or something else?

On the 26 degree nights, do you think the problem was that you needed more insulation under you overall, or did you need a longer/wider insulating pad under you? I'm thinking that a thermarest would be somewhat tough to keep directly under you in a hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    OES MacCat'D Cuben
    Insulation
    Usually nothing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    +1 no problems to at least 45-50 with the bubble pad.

It is also pretty light and gives good coverage if you move about in your sleep.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Exclamation

Hennessey says this of the pad:

"Under most conditions this pad will keep you warm down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit ( 5 Celsius) if you are using a good quality 40-degree sleeping bag. Any other insulating materials like a fleece, spare clothing, hat, etc. can be placed under the pad for increased insulation."

Why would you not trust him? After all, the pad is a little bit funky, what with being sourced from the same company, no doubt that produces the windshield screens; and it interferes with bottom entry of his hammocks. So, I'd estimate that Hennessey tested it with a good sample of its established customer base and found that it really does work.

My experience, as recently as last night in a hammock to 50 degrees F, wearing cotton shirt and pants was that no matter the universal dismissal of small fractions of an inch of compressed fabric as being of minimal insulation value, that by reducing conduction of heat from the skin against the hammock that it is of substantial value. Two layers of an old acrylic blanket was of more and substantial value between me and the hammock than over me in reducing my chill.

I'd trust Hennessey and think that thin foam barrier will do the same or more for you.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    i have the underpad and I have to say it doesnt bother my bottom entry set up. it has shock cord so it just moves when i push it to get out
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Hennessy DJ
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    super shelter
    Suspension
    straps
    I own the same setup at you and I feel sure you found out that what you had was fine. I have done upper 20s more than once with just bubble pad in sleeve with fleece liner inside and 15* bag. I do scouting with my son also and am hooked on the HH DJ! Trying to convert some of the others to swinging

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12