Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie

Idea: Reverse Klemheist for same sized lines

So, i've been trying out prusik and klemheist tensioners for each side of my tarp's tree lines, and, to save weight i've been using 1.75mm Lash-it for both the line as well as for the prusiks/klemheists I've been trying. I'm aware that this is not optimal.

The main problem is, the prusiks and klemheists jam pretty easily when there is too much tension- unless i'm pulling taught the un-tensioned side of the line passing through the klemheist, the end of the line is pulled and twisted inside the knot, and it jams the knot, and will no longer move up or down the line any more even when not under tension.

I think i've found a work around, by looping the klemheist around more times so that it grips the line even when being pulled backward (5 wraps seems to work on 1.75mm lash-it), under reverse load, the structure of the klemheist actually prevents it from jamming, at least from the testing i've done so far.

So I think i'm going to implement this on my WB BMJ tarp and see how it works out, but before I do, has anyone else tried this or know any reason this wouldn't work, or know of a way to prevent the normal klemheist from jamming?

If not, I'll report back after I try it out in the field (or possibly a park)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    IIRC a Kleimheist pulled in the opposite direction is called a Hedden hitch. Can't remember where I learned that. I've used it a couple of times with success.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    IIRC a Kleimheist pulled in the opposite direction is called a Hedden hitch. Can't remember where I learned that. I've used it a couple of times with success.
    Ah, interesting- figures that it's already been invented. I just added more turns to get more friction since i'm using ropes of the same size.

I can't seem to get it to jam- i think this is what i'll be using as my tarp tensioners.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Gonna try reversing my klemheist knots... I get the same jamming issue. Thanks!
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Gonna try reversing my klemheist knots... I get the same jamming issue. Thanks!
    Let me know how it works out!

I should note- i got it to tension with 5 turns around the line, though to get the bottom loop to tighten once you've finished the knot, you have to wind the cord around the line, which unwraps some of the 5 turns. Start with 6 or 7 turns to end at 5 once it's fully tightened.

This will probably make more sense once you start fooling around with it

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    I had a chance to try the knot in Yosemite this weekend- they worked pretty well. No jamming at all, despite using the same sized lines for the tensioner and the guyline.

Over the course of the weekend, the knots did get a little harder to move across the rope, but not at all impossible. Maybe dust, dirt and pollen on the rope made it harder to move- when i have time, i may try reducing the knot from 5 wraps to 4 and see if it still holds.

• + New Posts