Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I think it is important to reference archived threads. I can't always find them, although when I do I include the link in the post. While it may come off as brushing people off, like suggesting the search feature, I have a very specific reason for doing it. I know that I and I suspect other longer time members don't follow every thread. When something comes up in a title that I have contributed at length I will often just skip those posts and move on.

Referencing the archived threads brings the wisdom, opinions, suggestions of people who may not chime in on the new thread. I think it has value and is in no way intended to shut down or brush off a question or comment. In fact I rather look at it as taking the question seriously enough to provide the best commentary and answers that are already out there.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd agree with already mentioned that it's way better here than most other forums I've been to. The one thing I hope doesn't happen (no reason to believe it will) is to have threads or posts shut down because something is posted that isn't all happy, positive, glowing praise reviews, etc. I think most of the negativity comes from gear opinions. Some take it overboard and get all heated because someone has a less than favorable review about their favorite brand or what they use. Even if it's not a positive view or not agreed by the majority I don't think it should be "reported" or censored unless the comments are way out of line or attacking. I think the mods do a good job here though of keeping things in check.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I aspire to "goof off"

at the same high level as our resident clown, Shug!

Jim

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

+1

..."The one thing I hope doesn't happen (no reason to believe it will) is to have threads or posts shut down because something is posted that isn't all happy, positive, glowing praise reviews, etc."

+1 on that. I, for one, don't mind disagreement, off topic, negative comments and all that, as long as there are no personal attacks and offensive statements. It's all part of our world and censoring everything unhappy or "negative" isn't benefiting anyone. When the "honeymoon" is over, there will be issues and they are best dealt with, not stifled.
    My 2 cents.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    As a newcomer here, and having been a member of many other forums on the net, I have to say that I just don't see any negativity. This is the most positive and friendly place I've ever seen, which is simply amazing considering the size of the membership and the daily activity.

The only thing I've seen that even comes close to approaching negativity is when someone asks a question and gets the "use the search function" answer. Those of you who have been here a while may know all this hammock stuff like the backs of your hands, but to newbies it's a LOT of information to process. You can't blame a feller for wanting to just ask for a quick answer instead of digging through 496 threads that turned up in his search (especially since many of the threads here go on for dozens and dozens of pages). It could take days or weeks to hunt down the answer, if it's even there. It's almost information overload, and it's a waste of time for someone to do that much digging when he could spend 1 minute to post the question, and have it answered by a friendly helpful person in the next 5 minutes.

This doesn't mean that a newbie shouldn't try using the search function first, of course. But it's perfectly understandable if he has tried already and can't readily find what he's looking for.

Yes, answering these constant newbie questions can lead to a lot of duplication of information. But on the plus side, if you see the same questions over and over, it lets you know that there should probably be FAQs or sticky posts to address them (and I assume that is what led to the ones we have now).

On the subject of posting old thread links as answers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think it is important to reference archived threads. I can't always find them, although when I do I include the link in the post. While it may come off as brushing people off, like suggesting the search feature, I have a very specific reason for doing it. I know that I and I suspect other longer time members don't follow every thread. When something comes up in a title that I have contributed at length I will often just skip those posts and move on.

Referencing the archived threads brings the wisdom, opinions, suggestions of people who may not chime in on the new thread. I think it has value and is in no way intended to shut down or brush off a question or comment. In fact I rather look at it as taking the question seriously enough to provide the best commentary and answers that are already out there.
    I absolutely agree with you here. A newbie may have been looking for that exact information but couldn't find it in the virtual sea of information. If it saves you time and answers his question, that's the most efficient way to do it! Point him to a specific thread that answers his question. I, for one, am grateful when people do this and I don't feel like I've been brushed off. Think of it like a "smart search function". The automated search function is only going to look for text strings, but a human can target the ideas in the old threads if he remembers a particular thread having already addressed an issue.

Again, I am very impressed with this forum, the quality of the people here, and the way it's administered. You guys rock!

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Man what a negative post... (ducks!) just kidding! Seriously though - this place rocks your socks (hammock socks that is).

Positivity...
    Positivity....

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat View Post
    ..."The one thing I hope doesn't happen (no reason to believe it will) is to have threads or posts shut down because something is posted that isn't all happy, positive, glowing praise reviews, etc."

+1 on that. I, for one, don't mind disagreement, off topic, negative comments and all that, as long as there are no personal attacks and offensive statements. It's all part of our world and censoring everything unhappy or "negative" isn't benefiting anyone. When the "honeymoon" is over, there will be issues and they are best dealt with, not stifled.
    My 2 cents.
    +2
    similar to what i said earlier. I think everyone on here would be even more pleasant if we spent more time hiking & hanging, and less time on here talking about it. I know I am
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    DIY 11.5'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben /w doors
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ/KoalaUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    +1

The friendliness and the maturity of this forum makes it feel like good friends and family. I know that if I ask noob question, I won't be shunned and will get the opposite response. Folks here try to find something they can respond to...they/we want to help.
    Life's a game. Play HARD!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    I think I can agree with all that has been said.

My .02 is as follows.

Please keep in mind that when you see a post, the guy making it may not realize how it sounds when it is read in your mind. So think before you respond. Count to 10 or whatever.

And I have done searches on several forums. Invariably there are pages of threads where that word is used. Being able to drop a new thread and even have someone simply say "Search for "Thread Injector" posted by Shug and you should find what you need" will at least get us going in the right direction. I know I don't expect to get a complete answer. I like doing the research myself to learn about ins and outs. But when the research becomes a needle in a haystack challenge, it gets discouraging. Knowing exactly what to look for helps alot. Searching DIY, Sewing machine, UQ and cheap doesn't really turn up anything useful where RamblinRev, video, cheap Under Quilt does.

I guess it goes to the idea as much as the words that are searched for. And keeping in mind some people use words and phrases differently. Recently I saw a thread where I thought someone was being a jerk. Instead of posting in his thread, I sent a PM outlining my concern. As I rather suspected and he confirmed, the attitude he showed was not his intention. All is good and it was handled without 'bloodshed'.

We are all friends here. Or I would like to think so at least. Let's talk to each other. It keeps things civil, happy, positive and encouraging. I too can say, I have never seen a forum so positive and helpful as this one. A fella gets his gear stolen and it is replaced, for free, in under a week. There are two pay it forward threads where extra gear is exchanged. There is one thread devoted just to helping out Boy Scout Troops that need gear. This place is simply awesome.

Tad
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast