Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images

Rant on the negativity in some threads.

Just a little rant. I apologize but I have to get it off my chest. It always seems like when I find something really cool after a little while the masses find it and it goes to crap. I was a lurker on this forum for some time(started backpacking last year) and when I decided to switch to a hammock and found this forum I was immediately impressed with the generosity, positivity, and general good will in this forum. I have never experienced anything like it in any other forum. I just had to become a donating member. Normally in other forums all I see is a thread started by a newb followed by at least 3 posts calling them an idiot for not using the search function. I hope this isn't a trend, but I have noticed more and more negativity in some of the threads lately. I wish I didn't have to post this in the members only section because 9 times out of 10 if you care enough to donate you care enough not to be a jerk. Thanks for letting me rant. Happy Hanging!
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Thank goodness for the great Moderators here or things would go to heck in a handbasket quick. We've all seen that in other forums.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    As a moderator, I can tell you that we've noticed just what you have. In the past, this forum has been small enough for the mods to talk one-on-one to disruptive members, or to make nudging posts to try to ease the friction. Unfortunately, the forum has grown so quickly that we just can't 'be everywhere at once'. And many of the incoming members haven't been 'hanging around' long enough to see that it can be different....

You can help! When you see outright negativity, use the 'report post' button to draw a mod's attention to it. Or if you're a long-time-member here, use your best soothing tone to re-answer the question or comment in a more friendly way without 'calling someone out'...lead by example, so to speak.

It will also help if everyone tries to stay on topic! Most of the friction is coming when topics go astray from their original purpose... And that applies to some threads that don't really belong on HF, but folks post here anyway. Even if it is well meant or fun, some topics just tend toward friction or excessive distraction...

We're doing our best to keep HF friendly and on-topic! But this is ALL OUR community...so help us out...

(And don't be offended if a mod asks you to stop doing something, or even removes your post. There is a good reason if we do. We're just doing our volunteer effort to keep things smooth).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    As a moderator, I can tell you that we've noticed just what you have. In the past, this forum has been small enough for the mods to talk one-on-one to disruptive members, or to make nudging posts to try to ease the friction. Unfortunately, the forum has grown so quickly that we just can't 'be everywhere at once'. And many of the incoming members haven't been 'hanging around' long enough to see that it can be different....

You can help! When you see outright negativity, use the 'report post' button to draw a mod's attention to it. Or if you're a long-time-member here, use your best soothing tone to re-answer the question or comment in a more friendly way without 'calling someone out'...lead by example, so to speak.

It will also help if everyone tries to stay on topic! Most of the friction is coming when topics go astray from their original purpose... And that applies to some threads that don't really belong on HF, but folks post here anyway. Even if it is well meant or fun, some topics just tend toward friction or excessive distraction...

We're doing our best to keep HF friendly and on-topic! But this is ALL OUR community...so help us out...

(And don't be offended if a mod asks you to stop doing something, or even removes your post. There is a good reason if we do. We're just doing our volunteer effort to keep things smooth).
    Right on!
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Y'all are pretty good at this. I don't take it personally and I hope no one else does either. Just keeping us on topic, in TOS and still the friendliest forum on the internet. We're still the go-to resource for all thing shammocking. Ain't that beautiful?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It is still better here than any other place I have ever been, internet or otherwise.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

2 points AS.

Thanks Mods
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey, Mancat don't let it ruin your good attitude! It comes and goes. This is still the best forum here even if it is down lately it will heal. Happy Trails, Two Tents
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    I am very grateful for this forum and all those who contribute to it. I would not be a hammacker without y'all. Im just going to make sure I do my part.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies, ASR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It is still better here than any other place I have ever been, internet or otherwise.
    Exactly right. The mods here must be doing a fine job. The attitude and willingness to share information here is the best I've seen.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast