DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

HH Expedition arrived..and I have a few questions.

My HH Expedition Zip has arrived. I have a few questions. I plan to make whoopie slings and use it with the marlin spike. If I use the stock tree straps, how long should I make my whoopie slings and how much amsteel would I need? Or is the stock tree straps too short, should I get longer ones?

I plan to make either the black bishop bag or snake skins. Which one should I make? Is one better than the other? Are there any plans out there and can I use tule to make snake skins?

And last question, may sound silly, but is there a specific way to sleep in the HH.. head closer to the entry and feet to the back, head on the left side or right side?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Hi, I'll try my best to answer your questions....

1. Did you get the 2" seatbelt webbing from HH or something else? If you did get the 2" stuff I would get 1" straps instead. I find it difficult to use the MSH with the 2" stuff. You want your whoopies to be anywhere between 3-9' but 6' is the most popular. 6' gives you a pretty good amount of adjustability without being too long. I personally wouldn't go more than 6'.

2. I prefer a double ended stuff sack or BB bag. I found that the SS's just don't pack as well and they take longer for me to set up or take down the hammock. This is a matter of opinion, there is no right or wrong answer. There are instructions somewhere for both, you will have to do a search here at HF's or google. Yes, you can use tule for the SS's.

3. The way HH recommends laying is with the zipper to the right but I sleep with the zipper to my left and there is no difference. I'm not sure how it works for bottom entry hammocks. It's really up to you to find the best sleeping position. Just try different sleeping positions and stick with the one that's most comfortable. If you're having trouble you can take a picture of your set up and post it here and we'll try to help you out the best we can.

Hope this helps!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have the same hammock and I've made a few of the mods you're talking about.

I wasn't sure about whoopie sling length either so I made my first with about 18 feet. You can always cut some off the free end if it's too long. Then you can test it and see how long you want the other one. I found about 15 feet was the right length to use.

As for the tree straps, I found the stock ones too wide and a bit too short for some trees. I got some new 1" ones from Arrowhead Equipment. Paul will make them to your specified length and you can get them with a single loop if you want to use a marlinspike hitch.

I've been using the snakeskins a bit and they are ok but not perfect for me. They only save time if you leave them on the suspension but then they get just as wet as the tarp which is pointless. If you're getting them free, just try them out and see what works for you.

And lastly, I sleep with my head on the opposite side to the zip, I just find it easier to get in and out that way.

Good luck with your new hammock,

Adam

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge UL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRBShenado& MtWash
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I loved the snake skins with the stock suspension but once I converted to Whoopie Slings, I found that the adjustment was always buried inside the snake skin. This made set up more difficult, particularly, if I had far too much suspension length or not enough. I've since moved my Snake Skins to my OES MacCat Deluxe tarp with Dutch hardware and plan to convert my stock HH stuff sack into a bishop bag.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yardman228 View Post
    I loved the snake skins with the stock suspension but once I converted to Whoopie Slings, I found that the adjustment was always buried inside the snake skin. This made set up more difficult, particularly, if I had far too much suspension length or not enough. I've since moved my Snake Skins to my OES MacCat Deluxe tarp with Dutch hardware and plan to convert my stock HH stuff sack into a bishop bag.
    I did exactly what you suggested in this post. I have found this setup to be very user friendly.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    I am using the stock 2" webbing. If I get 1" webbing, how long should it be? What is double ended stuff sack, bishop bag. What does it look like and how does it work?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    I am using the stock 2" webbing. If I get 1" webbing, how long should it be?
    not trying to be a smart a** here but, it kinda depends on the size of the trees your going to be using it on, mine are 6' long total with the loops sewn on the ends, i got my webbing here but most of the vendors on here sell the stuff too, i wanted mine to have a bit of color though

this thread should help you out with your bishop bag questions

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=bishop

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Snakeskins, Bishop bags and position

As I don't use whoopies, I will not comment.

I like SS's for the tarp only. Makes it easy to pack safely when wet. Also allows reefing the tarp when weather is nice.

The Bishop bag is a great way to pack the hammock body IMO. Works with whoopies, straps (my conversion) or the stock ropes.

As for position, I like my foot end a bit higher than the head end to keep my butt from sliding over the entry slit (that is, if you have that model). And I cannot seem to choose which position is more comfy - head to the left or head to the right. YMMV.

Jim

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    As I don't use whoopies, I will not comment.

I like SS's for the tarp only. Makes it easy to pack safely when wet. Also allows reefing the tarp when weather is nice.

The Bishop bag is a great way to pack the hammock body IMO. Works with whoopies, straps (my conversion) or the stock ropes.

As for position, I like my foot end a bit higher than the head end to keep my butt from sliding over the entry slit (that is, if you have that model). And I cannot seem to choose which position is more comfy - head to the left or head to the right. YMMV.

Jim
    thats exactly what I was gonnna say. snake skins for tarp and left to right lay with foot end a little higher
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts