Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Hennessy got my thumbs up

I went on a 5 night, 6 day sea kayaking solo expedition earlier in the year in New Zealand's Queen Charlotte Sound with my Hennessy Hammock deep jungle XL. I camped in all 5 different locations and there were very hot, windy and drizzly conditions to give it a good trial out. There was plenty of room (I'm 6') in the HH and easy to set up. My system: I purchased the medium sized tree huggers as I found the small ones that come with the HH limited the size trees to hang it with. I use one carabiner and two rapel rings on each end of the ropes and I find it quick to set up. The UQ option I use is the standard reflector pad and a thermarest. There is slight movement with the thermarest when turning over but nothing too much of a problem, and it kept more warm most nights. The only issue I had was the standard fly was ok to keep out the rain but when the wind gets up and cooking I felt there wasn't enough room and extra protection would be handy, so I will be investing in the hex fly for extra space and wind protection. The side zip was excellent to getting in and out of but it would come in handy if they made the zip on both side rather than on the left side. For convenence I had to dip the end of a ridgeline rope in paint so I knew which end was the 'head end'!

I can't comment in the WWBB as I haven't tried that system out but I have read some good reviews that would suit some people.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    ChrisH Sorry, just now saw this post...

I have tried both, I had a 1.1 dbl for a week or so. It's definitely wider than the DJ XL but the DJ is quite a bit longer. I would much rather have more length than width in a hammock. The footbox doesn't change anything in my opinion, there might be a tiny bit more room but not much. As soon as I got in it for the first time I knew it wasn't for me. Compared to the DJ it fealt flimsy, probably because the DJ is built like a tank. The zippers and pulls are huge but you can operate them with one hand which is awesome. The DJ is definitely not for somebody who wants a light set-up.

Chris,

You mention that length is more important than width. Why? Does it make a difference in the lay? I'm only 5'6".
    Last edited by Boomer; 06-24-2011 at 21:24.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    ScottyNZ, thanks for the informative review! The standard fly that comes with the HH's is definitely small but it's great for those hot days where you want a view but also a little shade. It's also one of the lightest tarps on the market.

rodwolfy, length is important in a hammock for me because I am tall (6'2"). I don't need a real wide hammock but it is nice to have the extra room. If I was over weight or something I would probably have a different view on that. In the WBB my feet were scrunched up against the footbox. It was hung correctly, could do the 90 degree test with the ridgeline like in Brandons video so I don't know what the deal was. I know there's taller people than I with WBB's, maybe they don't mind having their feet scrunched up against the footbox, I don't know. Anyway, I'm VERY happy with my decision to sell it, the DJXL is great for me.

If you're only 5'6" you have absolutely nothing to worry about in the WBB. I'm positive you will be very, very happy with the WBB. Take care....

Images
    chris,

if your feet were scrunched up against the footbox, it was because you were laying in the wrong spot. i'm only 5'10" but i "could" lay with my feet scrunched up against the footbox if i wanted too, as could someone only 4'10". if you are only 6'2", then i know there was room for you to lay closer to the head end if you so chose. otherwise folks 6'6" and 6'8" wouldn't fit at all (which they do)

it's usually an issue of hanging the foot end signifigantly higher, if this is done you will naturally gravitate closer to the head end (and your feet wouldn't be all the way into the footbox).

the distance between the corner of the footbox of the bb and the top tieout is greater than the distance between the tieouts on your hhdj xl (fairly certain).

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    chris,

if your feet were scrunched up against the footbox, it was because you were laying in the wrong spot. i'm only 5'10" but i "could" lay with my feet scrunched up against the footbox if i wanted too, as could someone only 4'10". if you are only 6'2", then i know there was room for you to lay closer to the head end if you so chose. otherwise folks 6'6" and 6'8" wouldn't fit at all (which they do)

it's usually an issue of hanging the foot end signifigantly higher, if this is done you will naturally gravitate closer to the head end (and your feet wouldn't be all the way into the footbox).

the distance between the corner of the footbox of the bb and the top tieout is greater than the distance between the tieouts on your hhdj xl (fairly certain).
    I would have to agree with brandon on this one. I am mostly a hennessy guy but I got to sleep in my warbonnet for the first time the other night and it was dark when i got in and started thinking hey why are my feet scrunched up and then I realized I wasnt laying right and I moved my body to the left more and then the hammock OPENED up like a dream . its a very nice hammock and I like both products very much. but I do believe you might have possibly been laying in it a different way. I also thought that the BB was longer but I could be wrong .
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    chris,

Thanks for the info, Brandon. I had the foot end higher than the head end but it sounds like it wasn't enough. It was only around 3-4 inches higher so that was probably my problem. I admit I could've played with it more to get a more comfortable lie but I know my decision to sell it was the right one. There were several other factors besides my feet being scrunched that went into that decision. You have a great product but it's just not for me. Thanks for chiming in.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I first slept in a HH UB and it was weird at first as I'd never slept in a hammock before, but I went with it and loved it. I knew nothing about how to set it up properly that night but I got up in the morning feeling refreshed & ready to go immediately - no stiffness or soreness whatsoever. Subsequent trips taught me the knowledge & I loved it. Score 10/10

Loved it.

Next I slept in DD Frontline - totally different, loved the side zips & internal pockets. Loved not having to look for a "head-end", just string it up & then pick what way you lie - smashin! Comfy in a different way, less roomy from side to side but a quick DIY sewing job adding pull-outs should fix that. Score 9/10 & prob better once I add the pull-outs.

Loved it.

My WBBB arrived about 3 weeks ago & I couldn't wait for it arriving. Immediately shot out the house & strung it up between 2 trees in a nice spot and got in. Unbelievable! I thought hammocks were comfy from the word go but the BB is on another level altogether. This is a quantum leap in hammockology and Brandon deserves all the success in the world for coming up with this. It is quite simply the most comfortable place in the world to rest, sleep and just be in. I've been looking at my big comfy bed and thinking that it's days are numbered now, I'm considering seriously installing a permanent WBBB set-up to crash in every night. No back pain, no stiffness, so soreness - I waken ready to go and enjoy my days even more, I'm happier & more relaxed than I already was... and I'm a chilled out kinda guy anyway. The name "Blackbird" even sounds sexy!

Love it so much I'm never ever gonna be parted from it!

Would happily sleep in any hammock at any time, but I'd rather sleep in my Blackbird EVERY time.

Nuff said.

Hammock
    HH UL EXP, WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    strap
    I have a few friends that hang instead of tent and I was always curious about trying it out for myself. A couple of us that do bike touring (vstrom.info) decided to get hammocks. We both ordered from Hennessy. I must admit that I research everything to death and thought the HH UL Exp was going to fit the bill. I hung it in the garage and while it was fairly comfy - I did notice it was pretty narrow and that bottom 'birth canal' opening, while unique, grew tiresome quickly. Not to mention the velcro scraping my legs (wearing shorts) each time in and out.

I hung in it some more and had a wee nap. It was decent. Then I kept wondering about the correct knot for the spectra cord and also wished I had a larger tarp. So I go online again, read through more of the HF threads and decide to order a Warbonnet BB Double 1.1 with the Superfly. This thing looks amazing and everyone has positive reviews. Luckily HH is also a great company with amazing customer service and will take back my hammock. I look forward to receiving my BB (soon i hope!) and hanging it up. Even though I don't mind tying knots etc., I chose the little-heavier webbing model for convenience as I rarely backpack anymore. The side zip is a great thing and it saves me from modding the HH.

Anyway... though I have limited experience with the HH, i'd say pony up the money and buy it once. Of course one is never enough... We know all to well about farkling and how the initial purchase is the least you'll spend. It's the accessories afterwards that rack up

Thank you Brandon - you have satisfied hangers everywhere...

Is it here yet?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I'm betting that if you would've bought something more similar to a WBB from HH you would be very, very happy. Examples include the Deep Jungle XL, Safari and Explorer Deluxe....all zip models. Comparing a bottom entry Explorer UL to a WBB is kinda silly in my opinion. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the WBB and Superfly, though! Have fun with it and don't forget to share some pics!
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison

Hammock
    HH UL EXP, WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    strap
    True - I should have compared apples to apples. My bad .

For the WBBB, the foot pocket is a great idea - as is the shelf and the space for a thermarest or exped. I have camped all year round and we have winter pretty much 6 months of the year. So i'm looking forward to that feature. Yes I know about the UQ and TQ's. My Visa might not want to hear about them though . And the adjustable webbing is pretty slick too. It just seems there are many that started in a HH and then moved on. JMO.

Pictures for sure.
    "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast