Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images

Discomfort due to footbox?

So I've been sleeping in my 1.0 DL for the past week and a half here in Yosemite, and there seems to be a pressure point line created at about calf height due to the footbox. This causes my foot to fall asleep sometimes, and in general is uncomfortable. Maybe it's the way I set it up, maybe its cause I'm a small guy, I don't know. Anyone else have this problem? I've since been sleeping on the other diagonal not using the footbox like shug does. Much better, but still curious as to if it's me or not.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    there are a few threads here about this, have you tried hanging it with a looser ridgeline , i find this helps with mine.
    i have read that some folks even shorten their ridgeline by a couple of inches

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    For me the problem went away when I put the foot end suspension much higher (like 8 to 10 inches) and shorter with the head end suspension longer. YHMV (your hang may vary).

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I have the same problem when I hang my WBBB too tight. The cure is usually to give it a little more sag. I notice this a lot more when I setup between trees that are farther apart. The closer I can get the trees and still fit the hammock in, the lower the calf pressure for me.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    dang thats no good man. I dont own a BB but I do have a 1.0 dbl on the way. but In general id have to agree about it maybe being hung too tight. and I find that I like to hang my hammocks with the foot end alittle higher
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I have the same problem when I hang my WBBB too tight. The cure is usually to give it a little more sag. I notice this a lot more when I setup between trees that are farther apart. The closer I can get the trees and still fit the hammock in, the lower the calf pressure for me.
    elegantly stated
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    So I've been sleeping in my 1.0 DL for the past week and a half here in Yosemite, and there seems to be a pressure point line created at about calf height due to the footbox. This causes my foot to fall asleep sometimes, and in general is uncomfortable. Maybe it's the way I set it up, maybe its cause I'm a small guy, I don't know. Anyone else have this problem? I've since been sleeping on the other diagonal not using the footbox like shug does. Much better, but still curious as to if it's me or not.
    Dang, the old infamous calf pressure again! Has to be the most common complaint. There is a lot here on that subject.

When " sleeping on the other diagonal not using the footbox like shug does.", are you just moving your feet to the side opposite the footbox? Or are you switching the end of the hammock used as head end, and putting your head into the footbox?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Dang, the old infamous calf pressure again! Has to be the most common complaint. There is a lot here on that subject.

When " sleeping on the other diagonal not using the footbox like shug does.", are you just moving your feet to the side opposite the footbox? Or are you switching the end of the hammock used as head end, and putting your head into the footbox?
    The way Shug does it is shifting his feet opposite the footbox. Head stays in head end, just towards the shelf.

The calf ridge pressure happens in other hammocks as well, not just the WBBB. As others have said, try raising the foot end and or a looser ridgeline. Others use some kind of pad under their legs which also helps with insulation if you are using a 2/3 or 3/4 length underquilt. I have used a self inflating thermarest type sitting pad under my calves with success in the winter. I have it with me anyways and helps keep my feet and calves warm. I also shift my legs into an slight figure four position which helps and which I do in a bed anyways.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Not familiar with Shug's way of laying but this problem is typical of many hammocks, not just the BB. The footbox probably isn't creating the problem since by design it's not actually supposed to affect the lay of the hammock.

Like others have said, experiment with more sag. Me, I always try to have some sort of support under my knees, like a pillow or stuff sack with a jacket inside. That helps a lot.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

+1 on more sag

My last night in my WBBB had the foor end anchored to a tree that was downhill from the head end. Even though I scooted the strap as high as I could on the tree, I had to set the hang tighter than I would have liked.

And I noted a small bit of "calf ridge" with this set. When conditions are favorable and the set is close to perfect the sag seems to virtually eliminate the ridge.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast