WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewithe View Post
    So why am I waking up three or more times a night having to pee so bad that I almost don't make it out of my hammock?
    It's not normal to wake up several times a night to urinate!?

Getting up only once a night is worthy of noting in my journal three times a night ain't that bad either. Three things I'd say;

1-Vary stopping your liquid intake times depending on your physical activity. I need to quit at 1:00 PM for bullet proof only twice maybe three a night pit stops. Sometimes it can go as far as 3:00 PM. Dehydration is more important to deal with than waking up to go though.

2-Cold does factor in even when you don't feel that chilled.

3-If you are close to 50 (or a well worn 40) your prostate is more than likely an issue, see your doctor and weigh the options well...I'd rather go several times a night than deal with some of the medication side affects. YMMV

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Experimenting
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Interesting thread. I thought I was the only one that had this "issue". I've noticed that every time I hang, my 'visits' double (or triple). I think it's a temp / wind thing.

Or maybe it's a lizard brain retro gene kicking in to keep me from sleeping so soundly that the bear gets a bite before I know I've been invited to dinner.

Any urologists on the forum?
    Ignorance is temporary. Stupid is forever...

I'm not high maintenance! I'm simply low tolerance.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Yeah, me, too...I just assumed it had to do with a different sleeping position and being 50sumptin...

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Well, If you are not cold then maybe it can be some degree of sleep apnea.

I have sleep apnea and what happens is my airway obstructs when lying on my back and I actually stop breathing for several seconds hundreds of times a night. This has a negative effect on the brain as you do not get restful sleep. You wake up feeling tired, cannot concentrate etc. Another side effect while sleeping is increased blood pressures. Increased blood pressure will cause the kidneys to produce more urine. A CPAP machine I wear when I sleep keeps my airway open and I find when I do not wear it I produce a lot more urine overnight. Your size makes me think sleep apnea is a possibility.

You say you sleep on your side/stomach on a bed which will allow your airway to stay open. In the hammock you are on your back and your neck is bent forward. This position will make you prone to obstructing your airway.

Just an educated guess but it may be worth looking into. Undiagnosed sleep apnea can put a strain on your long term health.
    This is more common than folks would like to admit. I was very picky about being able to side sleep in the WBBB (which I can) and I needed an REI Inflatable pillow ($20) to get the correct neck position to keep the airway open.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I just learned to store my shoes up off the ground

Lean way out
    look out for the side tie outs on the Hennessys
    and finish completely or strategicly place a drip towel before draining..
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE / MOST ENTERTAINING HAMMOCK FORUMS THREAD:

1. This one.
    2. Dutch hanging asymmetrically from what's essentially a thong

I VOTE FOR THIS ONE!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE / MOST ENTERTAINING HAMMOCK FORUMS THREAD:

1. This one.
    2. Dutch hanging asymmetrically from what's essentially a thong

I VOTE FOR THIS ONE!!
    This may be the one! Really, it is an amazing thread. Look how many folks have this problem to one degree or another! I never would have thunk it! Now this problem has been discussed here before, but it was mostly related to being cold over all or at least not warm enough in the kidney region. All related to inadequate bottom insulation in a hammock.

But looking at this thread, it seems that it is something related to hammock sleeping OTHER than just a cold back.

I have been up more than normal in a hammock, but I really do believe it was related to inadequate back warmth, even sometimes when I was not aware of being cold. Very often I was pushing some piece of insulation to the limit or a little past it. Other times I have slept through the entire night, which is rare for me even at home in my bed, and I think those times I was probably plenty warm. This correlation was to the point where simply having to get up more than normal makes me suspect inadequate insulation.

The first time I ever experienced this relationship was 25 years ago trying to sleep(ground) after hiking all day in a late June snowstorm in WY. I was definitely hypothermic to some degree ( lots of shivering). It was demoralizing to have to get out of the sleeping bag and go outside the tarp ( 2 tarp mates) into a blowing snowstorm at about 24F. I had to get up at least 4 times.

But unless people reporting in this thread are some how cold in their hammocks- even when they don't really feel cold- then it must have something to do with the hammocks.

Weird!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    T

But unless people reporting in this thread are some how cold in their hammocks- even when they don't really feel cold- then it must have something to do with the hammocks.

Weird!
    Good observation BB. I can see a major hanging experiment coming. Everyone needs to carry a pencil and pad and document their specific conditions for 2 nights.
    Then can we come up with a survey that looks at different hammock "styles" (diagonal lay vs non-diagonal for example) or different sleep positions, etc., etc., etc., to see if folks are affected more so by one particular thing,

Can we get one of them free gov'mnt grants for a study
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefeetz View Post
    Interesting thread. I thought I was the only one that had this "issue". I've noticed that every time I hang, my 'visits' double (or triple). I think it's a temp / wind thing.

Or maybe it's a lizard brain retro gene kicking in to keep me from sleeping so soundly that the bear gets a bite before I know I've been invited to dinner.

Any urologists on the forum?
    I had a thought that there would be some fourty posts and not one person would mention to this 47 year old to go get checked. A ultrasound on the bladder would go a long way to discovery, and they have pills for that.

Barefeetz = You da Man!
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I just learned to store my shoes up off the ground

Lean way out
    look out for the side tie outs on the Hennessys
    and finish completely or strategicly place a drip towel before draining..
    There's something wrong with you - get a wide mouth Nagalene or Gatorade bottle in a odd orange or yellow color. Then practice, practice.......
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast