Hammock
    GT Double
    Suspension
    HF Webbing

Unhappy Hello Hammockers!

Hello from Baltimore! I go camping multiple times a year but when on my first overnight backpacking trip in May. I borrowed most of the main gear from friends and had a great time. Now that I know I like to backpack and already count on camping several times a year I have been thinking about hammocking as a light wieght solution for backpacking and a new option for camping ( i have several tents- all too big for backpacking.)

I have been doing a lot of research on making my own hammock because I do not want to spend the money on a manufactured hammock with all the features that I want, and I dont want to waste money or a cheap manufactured hammock that I will not enjoy in the long run.

Things I want in a hammock:

Ability to hold me + my girlfriend (330#)
    No See Um mesh
    side entry
    double layer for ease of use with "blue ccf pad"
    simple suspension
    rain cover tarp

I have a shopping cart with all materials for about $45 at backwoodsdaydreamer's new site.

One problem is that I cannot sew! I don't own a machine although I could borrow one (maybe) or buy one at good will. Can in burn the edges instead of using a rolled hem? The whipping will be from Jeff's hammock page...

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    A double layer hammock will need some sewing. If you want an integrated bugnet, zipper-entry, sewing would be required.

RE: 2 people in 1 hammock: I hope you're close, as you'll be stacked up in the hammock, you'll have no choice but to snuggle up, as your weight will drive the two of you into the center. Separate hammocks are a better choice for most nights...

If you just want a hem rolled, check your local dry-cleaners. I'd bet they'd hem the fabrics and sew them to your specifications for less than $20... Lost of people have made hammocks without sewing the edges, but in my opinion a double layer would be better off sewn..

Bugnet: Lots of options, but side-entry limits designs. You may want to consider a hang-over the ridgeline design with weighted corners as you could sew this by hand, and use velcro loops to fix it to the ridgeline.

Tarp: If you're going to make one, you should have some experience with a machine. Silnylon is slippery stuff. It's not that hard, but you'd need a little practice.

Worst case: Try it out! You can always un-whip your hammock and sew it up later! Don't forget your tree straps!

Best of luck,

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I hate to break it to you, but if you read your post literally, that 330# looks like it is your gf's weight. And if it is, I apologize now for any bad feelings my insensitivity caused.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Suspension
    HF Webbing
    Thank you for your quick responses!

JohnSawyer- I will look into the local dry cleaner option. I really want to test out a simple hammock design and see if I like it before investing in a sewing machine (and teaching myself how to sew.) So mayb I will make a simple no sew hammock to test for a night and then add all the fancy sewing, bug net, etc. later.

olzeke - Thanks for the heads up... I am about 6'1" 215#. She is about half my wieght and almost a foot shorter. I doubt we would ever sleep together for a ngiht in the hammock but i would like for a nap to be an option.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    A ENO DN might work for a afternoon hang
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Baltimoron,
    welcome to HammockForums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

• + New Posts