Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension

Wilderness Logic "Big Daddy"

We picked up the “big Daddy from the guys at wilderness Logic a little over a month or so ago. Along with the great price, the turnover time was fast, and it came in my favorite color, black!!! When it arrived in a tiny Priority mail envelope, I thought, “Man this package is to small to be a tarp”. But, there it was, a silnylon all black hex tarp folded in its own included stuff sack. And at a weight slightly less than advertised on their web site. I couldn't wait to test it out with my HH deluxe in the back yard.

While I have a standard diamond asym fly from HH in Sil, this was my first hex fly in Sil (I only have the old school heavy hex from HH). The quality of this fly is top notch. I personally think its better than my HH stuff, much, but couldn't compare it with other companies, as I do not own their tarps. While I love the coverage of the hex fly, I miss the ease of use and simple tie out points of my diamond shaped

This got me to thinking (sometimes a very poor idea). I started my project with my new fly and set to modding it. I like the Nite ize figure nines with reflective rope, and since the WL tarp didn't include lines, I planned to add them on. I also missed the pockets on the HH tarps for tucking in lines that aren't used or for packing, so I picked up a bit of 1.5 breathable ripstop from our local fabric store for my project. Next I decided to add a pocket and pull out line in the center of each leg of my tarp, then add a bungy strap and mitten clip to each end. This way the lazy man in me could keep the tarp in a diamond pattern and only fold out the hex sides when needed. For example: diamond fold on non zip side of my hammock and front porch unfolded on the other. My final mod was to add a plastic ring on each end of the tarp so my HH explorer deluxe could clip on when needed. Total of eight pockets and two new tie outs were added to the tarp. Which did increase my total weight with Nite Ize figure 9's, line, and plastic rings with mitten clips, to around 19oz.

After everything was sealed up with seam sealer, we headed out to Red River Gorge for a day hike. It ended up poring rain off and on throughout the day , so the tarp was tested in some heavy mess and winds. The guys at Wilderness logic make a great product! With my pocket and tie out mods, I couldn't be happier! The pictures show one side of the tarp set with hex sides open, and the other with center pulled and sides clipped underneath. The rain was heavy, so I didn't get a chance to retention the tarp after about an hour or so of taking a beating, thus the noticeable sag. After some pics, and lunch, we inspected the tarp and found the mods were definitely worth the added weight. At least good for us.

I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has tried this mod, and they may be all over the forum, but as a newby, I looked forward to posting my first Hammock project.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    cool deal man. very interesting mod.
    Wilderness Logics is my main gear supplier. excellent quality at a great price.
    thanks for posting pix.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    thankyou for showing us. I love my WL tarp. I forgot Hennessy hex had the guyline pockets. cool mod man
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    That is a great idea. I too have a WL Big Daddy. I like it a lot. Good coverage and I like the color black for stealth camping. I have always liked the idea of the line pockets that the HH Hex had, maybe thats what I will add to the WL eventually.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Nice mod work. I've heavily considered purchasing a few things from WL especially since they've been coming up more and more.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    W.L. Big Daddy
    Insulation
    W.L. 3/4
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Nice mods. I going to get this tarp. I just can't decide on the pull outs or not. I got their 3 season uq earlier this year and the workmanship was outstanding.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Looks great!

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    Second trip out with better Pics.

Not much wind, but the rain was consistent for about an hour come daylight. This is the WL full open. Its actually covering two Hennessy Hammocks, so the fit was snug to say the least! The additional added center tie out helps keep things tight. Plus it add two benifits, one mentioned earlier (added for mod), the other we found helpful, and noted that find a few pics below.

This shows the modded "wings" tucked under and clipped. It works best in better weather, when there is less need to batten down the hatches. With the added stash pockets for the lines we can use the center tie out and match it to the HH, or leave one side diamond with the other side used as a "porch" cover. When the weather is mostly nice, meaning a chance of rain (tarp hung), I like as little obstruction of my view from my hammock as possible. Thus the reason for the easier setup diamond folding mod.

The edges are not as taunt as I would have liked, but a stronger catch than a mitten hook and thicker stretch line would probably cure that.

Flipping the tarp and hooking it inside out shows the added pockets for line storage, and the mitten hook and stretch cord for pulling the edges together. When we flipped the edges inside out for a photo, we found an added bonus for the mods.

By flipping the edges backwards, the entire top section of tarp not only catches and directs fresh rain water, but funnels it directly to the center line. We didn't have an attachment for a bottle, as we didn't think of it till we tried to take a photo. But as you can tell by the shape of the tarp, we filled two sepperate 3 Liter hydrations packs fairly quickly. Way easier than trying to angle the tarp to direct water the Hennessy way.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Awesome,,,didn't think of catching rain water,,,nice touch!

Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    wow, that is actually really cool and I think I'll be stealing your idea when i get a big daddy myself.

instead of the clip (which is a great idea) how well do you think it would work with a trucker's hitch? (i'm not a big modder, i'd rather just improvise)
    Only the dreamer venoms all his days,
    Bearing more woe than all his sins deserve.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast