Tree Hugger Question

I bought a Hennessy Hammock 6 or 7 years ago, took it with me on a trip to Yellowstone, discovered what they laughingly called "camping" there roughly translated into "shoehorn as many people as possible to make as much money as possible into these wide open fields where all the trees are cleared away to make room for more camping sites," and really haven't been camping since. But this weekend I'm going to a music festival and thought wouldn't it be nice to stay there and get a comfy nights sleep in my hammock.

Problem is that I was an idiot last time I took my hammock out and didn't put the tree hugger straps in the stuff sack with everything else. I know that I can order replacements online but the festival is this weekend and the other problem is that the 2" straps recommended for the Explorer Deluxe are back ordered in sizes over 42" and trees grow somewhat large here in Oregon.

However I've done some searching and found that REI sells "climb-spec" webbing for 0.34-0.65 cents per foot. So to finally get to my point, if I were to buy a length of this stuff and ether make a big loop with a water knot or make a loop at each end with say a bowline would that be a good enough replacement? (I don't trust a good night's sleep to my ability to sew a loop on each end). Assuming that will work there is 1" webbing that has a breaking force of 17.8 kilonewtons which, if I've done my googleing correctly, translates to 4000 lbs and 2" webbing with a breaking force of 30 kilonewtons. Would the 1" webbing be enough for a hammock rated to hold 350 lbs or do I need the 2" stuff?

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    climbing webbing tends to stretch -

really, your better off getting some of those 15 foot 1" ratchet straps from like fred meyer- tie a loop in one end with a figure 8 knot.

hmmks and music fests
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Colorado flag retired
    Insulation
    DIY UQ (old bag)
    Suspension
    Rope
    Images
    Ask REI if they have any static (as opposed to dynamic) webbing. It won't stretch as it's used for caving and other activities that don't want stretchy rope. Or try some webbing from Lowes, Home Depot.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a set of ratchet straps I got at Costco years ago. According to the label they are 1 1/8" x 16' with a working load of 830 lbs and a break strength of 2500 lbs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Codo View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a set of ratchet straps I got at Costco years ago. According to the label they are 1 1/8" x 16' with a working load of 830 lbs and a break strength of 2500 lbs.
    Just make sure they are polyester or polypropylene and not nylon.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I think I had a better nights sleep in my hammock then in my own bed at home, even with some loud obnoxiousness from neighboring campsites. And in the morning when my camp mates were complaining about uneven ground, sticks, and mole hills under their tents I was going mole hills, what mole hills?

• + New Posts