Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

How to untie knots

Hey guys like an idiot I tied a knot in my amsteel hammock suspension....I should have kknown better, but I went ahead and hung in it and now that knot is hella tight. Any ideas for how to get it out, its just a basic overhand knot (i think thats what its called).

Also, basically I accidently ordered the amsteele suspension instead of the whoopie slings. I think it is 1/8th amsteele, can that be set up using descending rings? I heard that it weakens the rope but in a pinch would I be ok to do that for a night you think? Luckily Arrowheadequipment is awesome and are rushing me the slings, my back up plan is the rings.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You get knots out by working them. I pick, knitting needle or similar (eg marlin spike) will all do.

The good news for you is that Amsteel is very tough, so it is not easy to damage the fiber while taking apart a knot. Yes, you are right that it is highly recommended that you splice rather knot Amsteel rope, but it does not suffer the weakness of of a kind of predecessor, kevlar, which was substantially weakened by small radius knots even after the knots were undone.

If any of the above is wrong, a google search should turn up the error(s)

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Planet Hammock

WINTEC TRADING (click here)

Statistics show that people with the most birthdays live the longest

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Go at the biggest loop in the knot and bend it the way it will move the most wiggle it if you can't do that with your hand do what ^ said and use a knitting needle or something similar. Keep wiggling at the different loops in the knot till you can get it out completely.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I use needle nose pliers to get a grip on the rope inside the knot, and then push on the knot with my thumb to loosen and open it. I try to be gentle, but I can't imagine that any of this, including pulling an overhand knot this tight, can be anything but bad for the rope. Funny how hanging on the stuff changes one's outlook on cordage.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Pockets
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    A marlinspike, if you have one, is probably the least damaging tool for picking a knot.

Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronkmckay View Post
    Also, basically I accidently ordered the amsteele suspension instead of the whoopie slings. I think it is 1/8th amsteele, can that be set up using descending rings? I heard that it weakens the rope but in a pinch would I be ok to do that for a night you think? Luckily Arrowheadequipment is awesome and are rushing me the slings, my back up plan is the rings.
    I would avoid looping the cord through the rings the same way that you would loop straps. It does pinch, compression is the weakest link in Amsteel, but most importantly, there is no need to do that.

A very simple knot secures the cord at (one) ring and comes undone with a yank. It is variation on the buntline hitch. The variation is that at the last step, rather hitching the working end, you hitch a loop (a.k.a. a bight). That leaves a tail hanging out of the buntline hitch that will release the hitch with a yank.

Another simple knot that comes undone easily (but with a little more work) is the round turn with two half hitches
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Yes, you are right that it is highly recommended that you splice rather knot Amsteel rope, but it does not suffer the weakness of of a kind of predecessor, kevlar, which was substantially weakened by small radius knots even after the knots were undone.
    Actually, Amsteel is weakened by severe bends just like any other cord. The difference between natural fiber ropes and synthetic fiber ropes is the slickness of the fiber. Fibers like Amsteel will pull a knot tighter than a similar knot in a natural fiber due to the lack of friction on the line. Hence increasing the bend radius in the knot. Knots actually derate synthetic fibers more than natural fibers due to this reason.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronkmckay View Post
    I would avoid looping the cord through the rings the same way that you would loop straps. It does pinch, compression is the weakest link in Amsteel, but most importantly, there is no need to do that.

A very simple knot secures the cord at (one) ring and comes undone with a yank. It is variation on the buntline hitch. The variation is that at Step 5 you fold the working end over to form a loop (a.k.a. a bight) and push the fold through Steps 6 and 7 rather than the end of the cord.That leaves a tail hanging out of the buntline hitch that will release the hitch with a yank.

Another simple knot that comes undone easily (but with a little more work) is the round turn with two half hitches

A little practice gets these knots into your hands muscle memory and cord becomes your friend, not an enemy.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast